Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Get 10,000 bonus points for spending £15,000 per year on Gold Card

• samw 3 posts

Where can I see that I have achieved the £15,000 spend to get 10,000 bonus points on renewal of my Gold Card?

Presumably I can cancel the card shortly after I get this bonus and get most of the annual fee back. Right?

Cranzle 271 posts

No, the bonus points are awarded around 60 days after the account anniversary. Even if you hit the target in month 1, you will not get the points until month 14. By month 14, you might be on your way to achieving the second anniversary target, so it’s your call whether you want to cancel then or just let it roll.

NorthernLass 7,468 posts

There are spend counters for this just like for the sign up bonus but I haven’t seen them for a few days – they do tend to come and go randomly though!

Aston100 1,385 posts

It’s a bit misleading unfortunately.
    You’d think you’d get the 10k points as soon as your year is up, but you don’t.
    You are obligated to pay for at least a further months worth of membership fee (I think it was 5 weeks in my case) before your points show up.
    You can cancel thereafter and get a pro-rata refund.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,195 posts

You get the points 4-5 weeks after renewal, at which point you can cancel if you wish.

However, if you have a flight coming up, arguably wait until you’ve used your 2 new lounge passes.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.