Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Given a card, then card cancelled, can’t seemingly now reapply.

• louispassell 1 post

Hi all, I’d like your advice.

I’ve had credit cards for a decade, great credit score, never been refused a card before, credit use is below 5%, electoral roll address up to date etc. I did miss a payment on an Amex card in September because DD not set up properly as I’d thought it was, but called Amex the next day, super helpful, they said because history of good payments for years etc, DD now set up, charge would be reversed following month and they would tell credit agency then remove the missed payment the following month – phew.Nothing has actually shown up on any of the credit reporting apps I use inc Equifax, Experian or Trans Union.

I applied for BA Avios Plus when it was first announced months ago and was rejected, no idea why. I got a supplementary card on my partner’s account to get the benefits of the spend and the points. I then re-applied 3 weeks ago, got accepted and all looked fine. When I got the card in the post it came with another letter telling me the card had been cancelled by Barclays because they didn’t think I could afford it. PIN came through a few days later. Called Barclaycard and they told me they had cancelled it because they could see I was a supplementary card holder on my partner’s account and ‘you can’t be both’.

I gave it a week after cancelling the supplementary card and then re-applied for the Barclaycard Avios Pus online. Now i’m being declined when I apply online. Can anyone suggest anything I can do to apply or is it a lost cause and I should give up trying to get credit from Barclaycard before I damage my credit score.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

You are banned from any Barclaycard card for 6 months after cancelling one. You are banned from a new bonus for 24 months.

JDB 4,339 posts

@louispassell I’m not sure what happened here as from my personal experience a supplementary card doesn’t preclude you from applying for your own card and getting the SUB at a later date. I applied when the card was first offered with 25k SUB and got a supplementary for my wife who then applied for her own card when the SUB went up to 50k and she still has the supplementary. Unfortunately, Barclays it appears is seeing something they don’t like, but won’t share with you.

Matt 320 posts

We applied one after the other and got supplementary cards from each other without an issue. I think JDB is correct.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.