Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Hand luggage

• pbcold 348 posts

My trusty Samsonite carry-on luggage needs finally to be retired – what do people recommend I buy next please?

Lady London 2,051 posts

Travelon or Briggs & Riley depending on your budget.

pbcold 348 posts

Lovely, thank you very much. Time to splash out I think as it will be used so much.

JDB 4,378 posts

Doesn’t seem posh enough with all the fancy brands people talk about here, but we swear by Kipling luggage.

AJA 1,070 posts

I like Kipling too but I’m a fan of Tumi. I like the lifetime warranty with zips and the ability to stamp initials on the luggage which is great for identifying luggage on a carousel if you check it in.

dougzz99 619 posts

Doesn’t seem posh enough with all the fancy brands people talk about here, but we swear by Kipling luggage.

They do make exceedingly good luggage 🫣

memesweeper 1,255 posts

Away Travel and Horizon are similarly lovely and practical.

Arlo Skye ‘the frame’ carry on max was unavailable in Europe last time I checked 🙁

pbcold 348 posts

Loads of ideas here to consider; thanks to all.

Lady London 2,051 posts

I like Kipling too but I’m a fan of Tumi. I like the lifetime warranty with zips and the ability to stamp initials on the luggage which is great for identifying luggage on a carousel if you check it in.

If you can find any this side of the Atlantic Dakine is a Tumi brand but cheaper, the small pieces I have, have stayed in remarkably good nick over the years given they are soft luggage. Some of their designs have been quite interesting too eg a couple of recent-ish series of vintage-y smaller pieces.

pbcold 348 posts

Many thanks Lady L.

Michael C 667 posts

Briggs & Riley

Great tips, LL – will hunt down Briggs & Riley in some outlet mall!

Lady London 2,051 posts

Easiest in US, Michael. You should find opportunities there with a bit of looking, try Marshalls

AJA 1,070 posts

@LL that’s great info re Dakine. I’ve never heard of that brand before. Thanks

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,095 posts

AFAIK, the Tumi hard sided cases sold in Nordstrom Rack, Marshalls, etc. don’t have the monogram option. The soft-sided bags seem to be exactly the same models as in full-price stores. Tumi at Bicester runs an online shop via Whatsapp which could be worth a look.

pbcold 348 posts

Thank you very much for the replies. Having explored them all I ended up going freestyle and bought from a company called Carl Friedrick. I`ll report back when the bags arrive.

SteveJ 979 posts

I do like the look of their carry on bag, very smart.

Lady London 2,051 posts

Looks cool. Keep us informed.

Btw the Carry On Pro has 1 inch too much depth for most airlines – it’s over 9″. It’s the nicer of the 2 models if you’re working which is a pity.
    Lifetime warranty is nice but sadly no airline damage cover?

pbcold 348 posts

Thank you! Yes, I did spot that and bought The Carry-on…..the 100 day return policy is good for confidence.

modestpointscollector 64 posts

If you can find any this side of the Atlantic Dakine is a Tumi brand but cheaper, the small pieces I have, have stayed in remarkably good nick over the years given they are soft luggage. Some of their designs have been quite interesting too eg a couple of recent-ish series of vintage-y smaller pieces.

Never knew Tumi owned Dakine – I have a 7 year old 110L split roller for wintersports and 2+ week holidays, a 13 year old 75L roller bag for shorter trips, and an 8 year old carry-on. I’m hardly travelling every week but all of them are perfectly fine to keep travelling with, very happy with them.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.