Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Help with item left in Singapore

• Definitas 23 posts

This is a long shot but I’m looking for help retrieving my wife’s manicure set which she left in Singapore. They have offered to send it back with their partner courier DHL at a cost of £125, which seems very steep. It’s a good quality German made set and was a gift but it’s hard to justify the cost. Its very slim and compact (it would fit in a shirt pocket) so doesn’t require much room. Is there a Samaritan out there who would be willing to pick it up from the centrally located Andaz hotel and bring it back to the UK?

Seagull 60 posts

Happy to pick it up but not long back and my next trip isn’t until August and sure another HFP’er will be out before then. In case not (and they’ll hold on to it for that long) then let me know.

meta 1,441 posts

Try looking at Parcel Monkey and organising courrier on your own. I was sending stuff with them from Japan very cheaply and they have negotiated cheap rates with DHL.

QwertyKnowsBest 301 posts

Guess it will fit in a document wallet size pack. Much much cheaper options if so. Check Singapore postal service also, shouldn’t be too expensive to send if Hotel can be bothered to use your selected service. Make sure that they mark up customs declaration correctly so no hold up or charges.

SamG 1,644 posts

I’m going next month and am happy to bring back if you don’t mind waiting! Otherwise as others have said – parcel monkey, easy parcel or transglobal express usually has relatively reasonable options from Singapore

Definitas 23 posts

Guess it will fit in a document wallet size pack. Much much cheaper options if so. Check Singapore postal service also, shouldn’t be too expensive to send if Hotel can be bothered to use your selected service. Make sure that they mark up customs declaration correctly so no hold up or charges.

I’m not sure that the hotel will label it up correctly to avoid any customs issues

Definitas 23 posts

Try looking at Parcel Monkey and organising courrier on your own. I was sending stuff with them from Japan very cheaply and they have negotiated cheap rates with DHL.

I looked at them but they came up with no service available when I out the details in

Definitas 23 posts

Happy to pick it up but not long back and my next trip isn’t until August and sure another HFP’er will be out before then. In case not (and they’ll hold on to it for that long) then let me know.

Thanks for your offer. I will definitely come back to you if I can’t get anything sorted before then.

Definitas 23 posts

I’m going next month and am happy to bring back if you don’t mind waiting! Otherwise as others have said – parcel monkey, easy parcel or transglobal express usually has relatively reasonable options from Singapore

Easy Monkey said no appropriate service (maybe its too small). I’m also worried about possible customs issues even though it’s 9 years old. We would definitely be happy to wait until next month if nobody offers who is going sooner than that.

Definitas 23 posts

A quick update. I have looked at the commercial options and easy parcel would be a possibility but I would prefer not to hae to get the hotel to package it up and trust them to complete customs documentation correctly. I have found the original receipt from when I bought it in Düsseldorf and can send a digital copy to whoever brings it back to make sure they don’t have any issues. The hotel is happy to hang onto it to allow me to make my own arrangements and I have contact details for the person who is dealing with it.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,096 posts

Beware carrying items out of Singapore for others. Nicole Kidman did it in the late 1980s and ended up in the infamous Bangkok Hilton.

Definitas 23 posts

Hi. I would like to arrange something with you to bring the set back. Could you please email me at machalliwell at hotmail dot com to look at coming up with a plan? Thanks

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.