Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Hilton cashback questions

• bowlingformatt 8 posts

Morning,

Does anyone know;

1. If cumulative spend will trigger the current £50 cashback off £200 spend?
    2. If non-sterling fees count as part of the spend?
    3. How long it takes to trigger the cash back on a cumulative spend or otherwise?
    4. If Amex will review spends if no cash back is triggered within 30 days?

Thank you forum readers!

BfM.

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

I did a 1 night Hilton stay in March and spent over £200 in 2 transactions (room rate plus restaurant). The £50 credit appeared within 48 hours.
    However, a similar IHG stay has produced no credit after nearly 2 weeks!

strickers 657 posts

I did a 1 night Hilton stay in March and spent over £200 in 2 transactions (room rate plus restaurant). The £50 credit appeared within 48 hours.

Exactly the same for me, Hilton stay from 2 days ago has triggered the email, 2 transactions also. IHG spend from over a month ago hasn’t.

DonLee 213 posts

Exactly the same for me, Hilton stay from 2 days ago has triggered the email, 2 transactions also. IHG spend from over a month ago hasn’t.

Still waiting for Hilton cash back after 2 weeks since check out even the email triggered right away.

bowlingformatt 8 posts

It strikes me that it’s very hit and miss.

I’m not sure how receptive Amex customer services are to people badgering them about it.

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

They usually tell you to wait the maximum time stated in the Ts and Cs, but sometimes they need chasing up again after this!

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

They have been slow recently BUT they seem to appear in the end.

Not sure about the FX fee but in reality you want to be over by at least 5% anyway in case of any FX movement at short notice. If I had a €500 bill I’d charge the equivalent of about £210 to Amex and stick the rest on an FX free card.

Cumulative is fine.

strickers 657 posts

Just to add that my IHG offer previously mentioned has just moved to recently redeemed, this was 2 weeks after I made the qualifying transaction. It was cumulative, amounts ranging from £30 to £70 for F&B at a HI where my employer pays the room rate.

KevinC 76 posts

Amex cash back redemptions seem very random at the moment. £10 from John Lewis took over a month to come through. The BA offer on the business cards triggered an email and then the £100 rebate appeared in a couple of days.

Nigerian_Prince 4 posts

exactly same thing happen to me, Hilton cashback triggerred immediately and IHG didn’t. I booked them all online using non-refundable prepaid rate.

I chatted Amex agent online, they are not willing to manually credit the offer, citing:

“this offer is valid on checkout spend only and I see this transaction was made using keyed feature of your card i.e this was a transaction made using your card keyed feature, in which your physical card is not available and you have to key in the card number/expiration date/security code. For ex when a merchant takes your order over the phone, or when you pay for something online.”

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

My IHG cash back credited after 10 days. 2nd Hilton hit within 48 again. Waiting for 2nd lot of IHG now!

2nd Hilton booking was 2 prepaid stays for later in the year so it clearly does count. IHG don’t seem to take payment in advance so I’ve only used the offers at checkout on recent stays.

*Just checked on my BAPP again in case I was dreaming it. Yep, 2nd Hilton pre-paid stay charged April 28th, £50 cash back appeared May 2nd. So 2 working days given it was bank holiday weekend.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    bowlingformatt 8 posts

Thanks all for the replies.

Final question:

1. While the spend is okay to be cumulative. If you were to purchase a room rate via hilton.com that was non-refundable (so charged immediately), for a stay date AFTER the offer end date – would this still work?

Or, does it absolutely have to be on checkout spend, physically at the hotel, within the offer Amex cashback period?

If it’s the latter then happy days.

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

There’s a separate thread about the current offer with examples but I have done this and had the payment taken and the cash back 2 days after the booking was made.

BJ 657 posts

Yes, works fine, based on transaction date not stsy date as per Anna’s experience.

Robm 55 posts

Related question – have people had luck in getting a Hilton to switch which card a non-refundable stay was charged to? I booked and paid in advance for a stay in November back in August, before the latest Amex offer.

My plan is to ask reception nicely if they can charge the Amex with the offer on – and refund the original card.

Obviously this might not be possible/ not something they would be obliged to do. Worth a try though…

John 1,000 posts

Related question – have people had luck in getting a Hilton to switch which card a non-refundable stay was charged to? I booked and paid in advance for a stay in November back in August, before the latest Amex offer.

My plan is to ask reception nicely if they can charge the Amex with the offer on – and refund the original card.

Obviously this might not be possible/ not something they would be obliged to do. Worth a try though…

If it’s a proper Hilton they should be able to. Hampton maybe not.

Robm 55 posts

Cheers – will report back in November!

Robm 55 posts

Success – update on prepaid stays booked before the cashback offer showed up. At check in reception were fine refunding my original card and charging the Amex which I had this offer saved. YMMV – worth asking.

The stay was at the doubletree in Harrogate.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.