Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Hilton Honors Hilton Edinburgh Carlton, DoubleTree or Hampton (West End)

• AnotherUser 182 posts

I’ve stayed in the Hampton before – it’s basic but fine. I can also get the Carlton or DoubleTree – either is 50% more points than the Hampton. Either worth the extra?

I’d be booking a double room with points for a 1 night stay. I’ve got gold status. Thanks!

Peggerz 100 posts

Hi @AnotherUser The Doubletree is closer into town than the Hampton, still on the west central side of the city. A couple of good bars nearby, a couple of dodgy ones too. Not far from the Grassmarket tho. And you may get a decent view of the Castle from your room. It’s built into an old department store, so some rooms are …. An interesting shape.
    The Carlton is on the North Bridge near to the Royal Mile, so tourist central. North Bridge continues to have interminable repair work done on it. They recently closed the health spa and we’re doing some work, but that may be over. It’s a decent Hilton.
    Personally, I would take a punt at the Doubletree, see what room they come up with and head to the Grassmarket or Tollcross areas for a pint.

RonnieB 288 posts

The Hampton at Fountainbridge is a pretty new and totally fine, breakfast is pretty good, and an easy walk to Lothian Road and Grassmarket/Castle. Others are not worth the extra.

John 1,000 posts

IMO it’s all about location, if you want to pay the extra points to have a shorter walk (or cheaper taxi or whatever) to your activities, then do so.

Even if you were diamond you would be unlikely to get a meaningful upgrade at the Hilton or DT, and the Hilton lounge is barely worth visiting. Breakfasts are better, but Hampton’s breakfast is adequate as long as you know what to expect.

Hampton rooms are also newer, although the one thing I remember about it, was that only the hotel’s own key cards worked to activate the electricity, not any random card. Having used digital key they didn’t put a key card in the room, so I had to go back down and queue for 15 minutes.

Andrew. 481 posts

Hi @AnotherUser The Doubletree is closer into town than the Hampton, still on the west central side of the city. A couple of good bars nearby, a couple of dodgy ones too. Not far from the Grassmarket tho. And you may get a decent view of the Castle from your room. It’s built into an old department store, so some rooms are …. An interesting shape.
    The Carlton is on the North Bridge near to the Royal Mile, so tourist central. North Bridge continues to have interminable repair work done on it. They recently closed the health spa and we’re doing some work, but that may be over. It’s a decent Hilton.
    Personally, I would take a punt at the Doubletree, see what room they come up with and head to the Grassmarket or Tollcross areas for a pint.

The DT (formerly The Point) was indeed an old St Cuthbert’s Cooperative Department Store (It lay empty for decades as did the nearby Goldbergs).

The Carlton is also built into an old Department Store, hence some of its odd layout and vast basements. It was a House of Fraser store but closed around 1982. I know the Fayeds used to own the building, retaining it after they floated Frasers, not sure who owns it nowadays.

KevinC 76 posts

I was at the Carlton last summer and thought the lounge was okay. Hot snacks in the evening, Tunnocks caramel bars and Haribo all day round.

AnotherUser 182 posts

Thanks for the replies. I’ll very likely go for the Hampton, then (the location works ok for my plans, and there are good places to eat nearby). Might email the Doubletree on the off chance they’ll upgrade me to a castle view room, though 🙂

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.