Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Hilton Honors Hilton not awarding points as booked via Amex

• jk2030 9 posts

I am a platinum American Express account holder, and booked a Hilton stay (June 2022) via American Express.

I have now found out that Hilton said they would not provide points as it was booked via American Express. Is there away around this?

slidey 287 posts

Was it pre-paid? I think pre-paid bookings via amex are now handled by expedia and so are treated as third party bookings.

Andrew. 482 posts

Always book direct, or if you use a travel agent select the option to pay at checkout.

jk2030 9 posts

Thanks for the replies.

It wasnt pre-paid. I paid via the hotel.

meta 1,440 posts

Did you book FHR rate or normal rate via Amex Travel?

If latter, then no points. Same with hotels.com or Expedia pay on checkout.

jk2030 9 posts

How can I check if it was FHR or normal rate?

They asked for my Hilton membership number.

meta 1,440 posts

There are only handful of hotels that are part of Amex’s Fine Hotels & Resorts (FHR) and when you book via Amex Travel they are clearly highligted and branded as such, it is very much visible and they usually come up first in search.

The fact that the system asked for HH number doesn’t mean anything.

jk2030 9 posts

It wasn’t FHR. They did book it via Amex Travel, I called up and they called the Hilton to book the stay.

The hotel cost $15,000.

Anyway you know off to claim the points?

meta 1,440 posts

Ouch.

No way to claim and don’t waste your time. You booked via OTA (third-party), not directly with Hilton, so no points.

jk2030 9 posts

Ok, thanks.

JDB 4,379 posts

If you have $15,000 to spend on a hotel, why go to a Hilton group one? More importantly, why book it via FHR/Amex Travel when you could certainly have got a much better price and all the benefits by booking directly with the hotel (not online/central reservations) as well as getting the points.

TGLoyalty 535 posts

Or even via Emyr! Which would’ve been eligible for points.

jk2030 9 posts

I thought American Express would provide better pricing, also, save me time using their concierge service. Now, I know it was very costly to use it.

What is Emyr?

Peter K 553 posts

I thought American Express would provide better pricing, also, save me time using their concierge service. Now, I know it was very costly to use it.

What is Emyr?

Emyr is an agent that has links with HeadforPoints. He is a hotel agent on various hotel schemes like virtuoso which get you extra benefits at higher end chain brand hotels, such as guaranteed upgrades and F&B credits.

Go to the main HfP site and search Emyr to find out more.

jk2030 9 posts

Thanks Peter

JDB 4,379 posts

What is Emyr?

@jk2030
    I’m addition to Emyr, it is really worth speaking directly with the hotel for that value of booking. They have to pay Amex, Emyr or any agent c. 15-20%. I’m afraid I would rather that were paid to me, however good an agent like Emyr is. In my experiences, hotels will invariably give you a very much better rate (beyond just the commission) and also all the benefits. I have just paid for a 15 night stay in a hotel where the rack rate would be US$11,700 + tax. I know people do pay it. I paid US$6,900 inclusive of tax, breakfast (for six people as it’s a three bed suite, although we are four), laundry and various other extras. Any such booking would be eligible for points if staying in a chain. Also, they usually require 50% up front and full payment 7 days ahead, but I just paid 7 days ahead although it was booked ten months ago.

jk2030 9 posts

Thanks @JDB, I will do this next time.

Didn’t realise the commission was so high.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.