Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Hilton Honors Hilton – can my wife stay on my points?

• markd 4 posts

Hi looking for advise my wife a Hilton gold member we normally go away together.
    But this time I have to go by myself can my wife a hotel with her with her points for me or does she have to be with me?

NotTheRealRob 86 posts

I believe officially the status holder has to stay to get the perks of status but I have once before booked a stay for my wife and put both names on the booking and she still got breakfast etc. this was for a U.K. stay though where they don’t ask for ID in check in.

Ryanfozzie 26 posts

Any plans for there to be mods so threads like this can be moved to the correct forum?

Aston100 1,374 posts

I believe officially the status holder has to stay to get the perks of status but I have once before booked a stay for my wife and put both names on the booking and she still got breakfast etc. this was for a U.K. stay though where they don’t ask for ID in check in.

Just wanted to point out that I’ve been asked for ID a number of times in the past 2 years, but never before.
    A couple of family members also had this on one occasion each.

markd 4 posts

thanks everyone for your help

NotTheRealRob 86 posts

Just wanted to point out that I’ve been asked for ID a number of times in the past 2 years, but never before.
    A couple of family members also had this on one occasion each.

Interesting to know, I wonder what they would say if you had no ID just presented your Credit Card

NorthernLass 7,455 posts

It probably wouldn’t be an issue but if you both have an HH account you could just transfer the required points instantly.

aseftel 266 posts

The terms say you can use your points to book a reward for someone else. I don’t know whether it’s sufficient (from a terms point of view) to add them as a named guest on an online booking – note that it says ‘individual’ not ‘individuals’ or whether you should call up to make the booking to have them as the primary guest. The online booking form does say ‘To allow another guest to check in, add their name below.‘ so I think you’d have a compelling argument that you followed the instructions.

The Reward may be issued to the Hilton Honors Member, or to any other person, as directed by the Member. Once issued, the Reward is not transferable and may be used only by the individual named on the Reward. If a person other than the individual named on the Reward documentation attempts to redeem the Reward, the Reward will be deemed void and accommodations and/or transportation will be denied.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    John 1,000 posts

The terms say you can use your points to book a reward for someone else. I don’t know whether it’s sufficient (from a terms point of view) to add them as a named guest on an online booking – note that it says ‘individual’ not ‘individuals’ or whether you should call up to make the booking to have them as the primary guest. The online booking form does say ‘To allow another guest to check in, add their name below.‘ so I think you’d have a compelling argument that you followed the instructions.

The Reward may be issued to the Hilton Honors Member, or to any other person, as directed by the Member. Once issued, the Reward is not transferable and may be used only by the individual named on the Reward. If a person other than the individual named on the Reward documentation attempts to redeem the Reward, the Reward will be deemed void and accommodations and/or transportation will be denied.

No, it isn’t sufficient, you must change the name on the booking which can only be done by the USA call centre.

In this case, the new name will appear to the hotel to be the account holder (and get any status benefits). The hotel won’t see the original name at all.

Of course some hotels in some countries won’t mind if you just add an additional guest named on the booking, which you can do as part of the normal online / app booking process, and claim that the original holder “is coming later”.

You should probably ask about the specific hotel on here or flyertalk if you want to know whether this will work

Abdul 69 posts

John, is it confirmed the hotel would see my HH number and status next to the name of my nominated friend?

Did you as the “paying guest” also get stay credit?

Outside the UK its probably a must to do this, in the UK you can probably get away with the second guest.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,197 posts

Transfer your points for free to your friend and let them book from their account.

Status benefits will be lost but there is 0% chance of any bother, which offsets it!

John 1,000 posts

John, is it confirmed the hotel would see my HH number and status next to the name of my nominated friend?

That’s how it’s meant to work but I haven’t tried since points transfers became free.

The account attached to the booking gets the stay credit.

It’s allowed by Hilton terms so the worst that would happen is the friend has to pay for breakfast if you’re gold/diamond and the hotel somehow detects your name

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.