Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Hogmanay Edinburgh 2022 : Advice

• Notmyrealname 55 posts

We’re hoping to go to this years Hogmanay in Edinburgh and would like advice from those who have been.

Hotels
    I have reward stays at the
    Indigo 29th-31st inc

Then for 31st-1st a choice of

Indigo
    IC-the George
    Kimpton

Kimpton is the IHG free night cert so am tempted to go there however I’m open to suggestion for which one is “best”

We both are diamond IHG members.

Also
    I understand the Street party + others (?) are payable events> Anything that should not be missed?

Thanks

BJ 657 posts

Hopefully things will be back in full swing this year. You will need to get tickets to enter the street party and other events that are not free. Best book in advance despite covid, cost of living erc impacts. The booking page should be up very soon. On 30th there is usually a torchlight procession from the Old Town to Calton Hill to kick things off; you can get a torch and join in or just watch. On 31st there is usually the street party and fireworks. On 1st a parade or something, and the Loony Dook for more hardy souls. There has been some issues regarding the Christmas Market, funfair and icerink due to diusputes with usual organiser, however, I expect they will still go ahead in some form. Cgrudtmas at tge Bitanjcs may slso ve if interest, if so you will need to book as it’s very popular. If you enjoy walking, then I also recomnend you make time available for Arthur’s Seat or Blackford Hill. Castle, Zoo, Royal Yacht, Our Fantastic Earth etc probably all open except perhaps New Years Day. Pantomime and other shows should be on too.

BJ 657 posts

Personally I’d just stay in same hotel for convenience but both IC and Kimpton are just a short walk away if you do wish to change. I think an upgrade at either for a single night stay on 31st is extremely unlikely as the premium roons will all get booked up for multiple nights I would imagine.

Peggerz 100 posts

Agree with @BJ ‘s comments. Hotels will be chock-a-block so you may not get an upgrade. I’d take the Kimpton over the IC George personally. The restaurant there Aizle is excellent, the Nth African bistro there good too. A NY day walk down to the Dean Village and Stockbridge for a beer etc is also on the cards from the Kimpton. However if you can do another night in the Indigo (I assume it’s the Princes Street hotel) the restaurant there No.20 has a great reputation too. And the views over to the Old Town are decent from the window tables.
    You will need street passes for the Firework display as BJ says.

Notmyrealname 55 posts

Thanks for all the input.

AnotherUser 181 posts

I’ve not stayed at the George. The Kimpton is nicer than the Indigo, but to be honest I’d just go with whichever of the two is better value – both should be perfectly ok, both will be rammed and a little chaotic on the 31st (so you’ll likely get a small room and no upgrade), and you’re presumably not going to Edinburgh that night to hang around in the hotel anyway 🙂 The Kimpton bar/restaurant is much nicer than the Indigo, if you end up wanting a drink there.

NorthernLass 7,571 posts

+1 for the Kimpton bar – as Diamond you may well get cocktail vouchers even if you pick breakfast as your welcome amenity …

Notmyrealname 55 posts

Not too fussed about an upgrade TBHO, food, drink and where to go on the night are the priority.

Thanks for all the inputs

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.