Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club How can I earn 10k Avios in a month?

• DevonDiamond 71 posts

Right I’ve suddenly realised I could do with 10k Avios for a BA redemption in the next month or so.

I’ve already got an Amex (the ARCC) so can’t get a sign up bonus.

I don’t have capacity to spend 10k in this time period to earn the points or MR through spend.

I’ve already got a HH Barclaycard so the BA Mastercard isn’t open to me as a route.

Don’t have enough nectar points I can transfer back to Avios.

No plans to fly anytime soon so can’t earn them that way.

I have the BA prepaid Mastercard with the HFP sign up bonus but this doesn’t even get me half way there.

Is there another option I’ve missed?

NorthernLass 7,576 posts

You can buy them if you’re desperate and will get good value from using them as a top up for a redemption. Not sure if there are any bonus offers from BA or Iberia at the moment. If you’ve no MR or Nectar points I can’t think of any other routes where you’d be guaranteed to get them in a month.

DevonDiamond 71 posts

I had forgotten buying Avios but that might prove to be the best option. The dates I need are off peak having just checked the 2023 calendar

£175 would be far cheaper than the cash price I think (going to the Rugby World Cup)

Also I think economy redemptions go into the Economy Plus bracket

Bill_B 85 posts

It looks like the Spectator offer is still going.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/05/23/avios-spectator-magazine/

Or if you have an Amex Rewards card you could buy 10,000 MR points for £150 to save £25.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/06/24/how-to-buy-american-express-membership-rewards-points/

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

You could ‘borrow’ them with a £10k flight booking on your ARCC which you immediately cancel, but you move the 10k MR before the cancellation comes in. Your ARCC MR balance goes to negative 10k of course.

bartas8891 37 posts

I would optimise Rob’s suggestion and book a fully refundable accommodation for a week.

Carlos 758 posts

You could ‘borrow’ them with a £10k flight booking on your ARCC which you immediately cancel, but you move the 10k MR before the cancellation comes in. Your ARCC MR balance goes to negative 10k of course.

And be banned from opening future amex cards. For 10k avios points?

Also I think OP wants 120,000 avios (12m) so I presume they cant keep opening and closing?

DevonDiamond 71 posts

No it’s not 10k / month for a year, it’s 10k in just one month (this coming one)

I’m not going to mess around with a 10k refundable purchase as would need to adjust credit limit and it could affect my job in an obscure way

Didn’t know I could buy MR – thanks Bill B

Spectator offer looks like it could be a winner if they post quick enough

drdan 96 posts

Cheapest honest thing would be to refer a friend or two from ARCC?

eppleby 32 posts

Get the BAPP and spend £6667.00

eppleby 32 posts

Join someone’s household account!

PJJ 29 posts

Any stays coming up ?
    Using the BA site and Avios Hotels gets 15 miles per £ and the last 2 I used paid up a week after check-out
    Would need a £680 spend over xx nights

VinZ 142 posts

You can also use the ba shopping website. You could borrow from there. Buy something from a speedy reward partner such as Mr Porter… sometimes their offer is in the region of 10/12x £1 spent. You get your points within a day or two. Then you return everything but before the avios are deducted from your account (which takes a while especially if you return your items after a week) you will have spent them already.

AJA 1,071 posts

Get the BAPP and spend £6667.00

or having applied for the BAPP buy a cheaper fully flex airfare on BA for £3,334 which would earn 10k Avios

DevonDiamond 71 posts

Thanks all. I think the Spectator offer is probably the best option for my needs.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.