Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Virgin Flying Club How do flights with Virgin Points work?

• Philondon 275 posts

Are there only a small number of points seats on each plane like with Avios?

If I select LHR to LAX on 31st May the latest return date with points is 8th June. But I want to return on 13th June. After 8th June it says “not offered”. Confused!

ChrisC 956 posts

No VS does not guarentee seats on every flight. Nor does it make those that it does offer available as soon as cash bookings open up so it’s very much a case of watchjing and waiting and pouncing.

memesweeper 1,256 posts

Are there only a small number of points seats on each plane like with Avios?

If I select LHR to LAX on 31st May the latest return date with points is 8th June. But I want to return on 13th June. After 8th June it says “not offered”. Confused!

There are potentially zero seats on each plane. Virgin have offered very few redemption seats in Upper Class recently. The best way to search is Seat Spy (or a similar tool) not the Virgin website. The Virgin website doesn’t allow you to freely scroll through dates unfortunately, unless there is some availability within a few days of your search date. Some seats are released at short notice — with just a few days or weeks to go.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,202 posts

There are real issues with premium cabin availability on Virgin at the moment. SeatSpy can show you what is available in one click – there is the 14 day free trial available.

memesweeper 1,256 posts

If you want to see how dire Virgin premium availability is use the ‘where can I go’ feature on Seat Spy. It’s awful. Delta via Virgin is slightly better.

ChasP 162 posts

In addition to lack of availability there is also the question of what a point is worth

An upper class flight to Eastern USA used to give a value of around 1.6p but since the recent increases in charges I’m getting around 0.8p – quite a devaluation

perhaps its time for Rob to revise his valuation as any figures before this year are no longer relevant

TimM 52 posts

Booking redemption flights with Virgin points on Virgin metal (to use the credit card voucher) appears to be something of a black art. The last time I asked, HfP had a comprehensive guide to Virgin redemptions down as a long-term project. Any progress Rob?

FREEFLIGHTS 54 posts

I also asked if Rob would run up a “how to book using Virgin 2-4-1”. No pressure Rob, we know you are doing a great job.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Daiboy1980 45 posts

‘How do flights with Virgin Points work?’

They don’t lol!

davefl 1,221 posts

They don’t lol!

They do!

Had 2 x returns in UC this year, premium points booking upgrading to UC with the CC voucher.

AndyGWP 275 posts

I have done 4 x upper flight segments (and for 2 pax) with them in the past 4 months… all were redeemed on day of release last year, times were different then tho 🥴

Daiboy1980 45 posts

They don’t lol!

They do!

Had 2 x returns in UC this year, premium points booking upgrading to UC with the CC voucher.

NYC I assume?

Outside of that route, the availablilty is truly awful

davefl 1,221 posts

They don’t lol!

They do!

NYC I assume?

Outside of that route, the availablilty is truly awful

MAN-ATL I did originally book MAN-JFK for one of them but switched it after every possible connecting route after 6pm from JFK was cancelled or retimed – Jetblue and AA both suck!

billyrayvalentine 25 posts

Does VS release flights at a particular time like BA?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.