Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios How long does it take for the Barclaycard balance to be cleared?

• BajiNahid 167 posts

Hi guys, any idea how long it takes for your balance to clear if you pay it off? Just cleared off my balance but need to make a big purchase later today.

Thanks!

Carlos 758 posts

Weekdays its about 24 hours but weekend it takes longer

Maples 192 posts

I found that after paying the balance off, it takes about 2 hours to get an email and have the balance available.

Bear in mind that you cannot pay the balance off for pending transactions. It took me a while to realise this because the app is terrible and just gives an error code without an explanation.

BajiNahid 167 posts

Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,202 posts

Is this a good time to rant at HSBC who take up to 48 hours to credit my card when I transfer from my own HSBC correct account?!

Jimbob 29 posts

Is this a good time to rant at HSBC who take up to 48 hours to credit my card when I transfer from my own HSBC correct account?!

The total takes a day or two to update, but the credit available updates after 10 minutes when paying off via my hsbc current account

Maples 192 posts

I just paid off my Amex statement balance and it updated in the app in less than a second with the balance now being £0.00 and available balance updating as well. Wow.

Harrier25 852 posts

Paid off my Virgin Atlantic card today and it took around 30 mins to show. Amex is always instant and Barclays takes a few hours. I tend to find that bank transfers take slightly longer to show than debit card transactions.

Scottpat78 243 posts

+1 for this:

Amex great – BAPP and Plat updates in seconds, adjusts DD and makes balance available by the time you can blink. I pay this with a card.

HSBC – constantly errors in the app and once paid from current account, takes an age to update in the app

BC Avios – tells you the balance, but that includes pending transactions which you can’t actually pay that amount off. It takes a bit to work out. Then they don’t adjust the DD so you sometimes go into a credit balance. I pay this with a card.

Amex definitely have it right for me in this space. I have DD set up for all my cards for the minimum payment each month incase I do miss a date – don’t ever want to pay interest or charges! Paying off the rest of the balance though is harder than it needs to be with some providers.

JDB 4,384 posts

Amex definitely have it right for me in this space. I have DD set up for all my cards for the minimum payment each month incase I do miss a date – don’t ever want to pay interest or charges! Paying off the rest of the balance though is harder than it needs to be with some providers.

If you have only set the DD for the minimum payment, you’ll still be paying interest!

meandthekids 66 posts

I want to clear the balance in full monthly but don’t seem to be able to find the option on the app. How is this done?

BajiNahid 167 posts

The card market really needs to get up to speed in clearing payments as fast as possible like Amex does!

Scottpat78 243 posts

I always clear the balance – I just make sure I don’t miss any dates – and know my DD date is my drop dead date for clearing too. Works for me!

If you have only set the DD for the minimum payment, you’ll still be paying interest!

memesweeper 1,255 posts

With my Hilton Barclaycard payments clear in minutes, regardless of what shows online/in-app. I usually leave a day to be safe, but I’ve pushed my luck before and it’s been fine.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.