Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards HSBC Reward Credit Card (UK)

• byronlewis 41 posts

Hi all,

Does anyone have one of these cards or know what the rewards are?! I’ve been offered one by HSBC but annoyingly I can’t find a list of the rewards online – the link they have refers you to the Mastercard site where you have to input your Credit Card number to access the list (which I can’t do as I don’t yet have the card!)

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/credit-cards/products/rewards/?cid=BAN_UK_EN_37652_0

Many thanks

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,198 posts

I think, and don’t quote me, that you get the World Elite redemption options EXCEPT for the airline and hotel partners – so shopping vouchers, wine etc.

byronlewis 41 posts

Thanks for the reply – wonder why it’s so hard to get a simple list of what you can spend on!

The Urbanite 118 posts

I used to have this card and I really, really miss it.

It uses the Mastercard Pay With Rewards scheme. I think they have an exclusivity deal in the UK as I couldn’t find any other UK card issuers that use the scheme when I looked. The list of offers on there is a closely guarded secret to all but them and customers.

They had some useful offers I hadn’t seen elsewhere and they were generous. They had 10% rewards on various IHG brands on there, 10% Morrisons and others, can’t remember them all. Vague recollection of some other retailers like Lego being on there.

The rewards is basically just a cashback scheme. The way the rewards were paid was good as well – a couple of days after the transaction was made the rewards would credit and you could choose to redeem the points against the next purchase you made. None of this waiting for your cashback once a year, or being restricted to one retailer business. As far as I know the rewards were just this form of cashback and not for anything else, though I had the card until 3 years ago so it may have changed since.

Despite the base rewards earning rate being quite low (think it was 0.2 or 0.25%), the card was supremely lucrative for rewards. I do truly miss the card. The only reason I let it go was because I was granted an upgrade to Premier World Elite and HSBC don’t allow more than one rewards card to be held to the best of my knowledge.

anuj 98 posts

All the info is here but the earning rate is extremely poor at 0.2% https://www.hsbc.co.uk/content/dam/hsbc/gb/pdf/credit-cards/mastercard-pay-with-rewards.pdf

Luca M 391 posts

I used to have this card and I really, really miss it.

It uses the Mastercard Pay With Rewards scheme. I think they have an exclusivity deal in the UK as I couldn’t find any other UK card issuers that use the scheme when I looked. The list of offers on there is a closely guarded secret to all but them and customers.

They had some useful offers I hadn’t seen elsewhere and they were generous. They had 10% rewards on various IHG brands on there, 10% Morrisons and others, can’t remember them all. Vague recollection of some other retailers like Lego being on there.

The rewards is basically just a cashback scheme. The way the rewards were paid was good as well – a couple of days after the transaction was made the rewards would credit and you could choose to redeem the points against the next purchase you made. None of this waiting for your cashback once a year, or being restricted to one retailer business. As far as I know the rewards were just this form of cashback and not for anything else, though I had the card until 3 years ago so it may have changed since.

Despite the base rewards earning rate being quite low (think it was 0.2 or 0.25%), the card was supremely lucrative for rewards. I do truly miss the card. The only reason I let it go was because I was granted an upgrade to Premier World Elite and HSBC don’t allow more than one rewards card to be held to the best of my knowledge.

Some of what you mention is also available with NatWest /RBS rewards (accounts and cards). 10% back with Morrison for example is almost a recurring offer

polly 289 posts

How do we get one of these cards. My OH can apply….never knew they existed!

The Urbanite 118 posts

How do we get one of these cards. My OH can apply….never knew they existed!

You have to bank with them for 6 months, but the requirements aren’t too onerous, more information here – https://www.hsbc.co.uk/credit-cards/products/rewards/

The Urbanite 118 posts

Some of what you mention is also available with NatWest /RBS rewards (accounts and cards). 10% back with Morrison for example is almost a recurring offer

That’s a good tip, thanks.

All the info is here but the earning rate is extremely poor at 0.2% https://www.hsbc.co.uk/content/dam/hsbc/gb/pdf/credit-cards/mastercard-pay-with-rewards.pdf

As with all credit cards, it’s the things that are not blatantly advertised that can really make them a valuable asset in the wallet. The base rate might be 0.2% but the offers if used right can easily make it the most rewarding card in your wallet.

Gary_Dexter 130 posts

As others have said – the reward rate is low and the offers are almost non-existent now.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.