Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club IB luggage allowance on cheapest fare with BA status

• yonasl 954 posts

We all know that even with Silver or Gold status you cannot have free luggage if you book BA’s cheapest tariff.

However, this does not seem to be the case for IB flights. If you book the cheapest tariff which does NOT include luggage the website seems to indicate you can take one with you.

When I go here: https://www.iberia.com/gb/luggage/allowance-in-hold/#!/baggages-search it says:

(3) Iberia Plus Oro and oneworld Sapphire cardholders are allowed an additional item of luggage (23 kg) when their allowance is 0 to 1 bags.

Can somebody confirm this is correct and if I book IB’s cheap economy tariff I can still check some luggage being a Silver member?

stevenhp1987 331 posts

Only BA HBO restricts free luggage for OneWorld status members.

HBO fares on Iberia/AA etc. are eligible for free luggage based on status.

yonasl 954 posts

Only BA HBO restricts free luggage for OneWorld status members.

HBO fares on Iberia/AA etc. are eligible for free luggage based on status.

Thank you so much @stevenhp1987

yonasl 954 posts

Additional query on this one … what happens when you book the flight with IB on the BA website. Are conditions different or the IB rules remain unchanged? (so people with status in OW can add a piece of luggage)

stevenhp1987 331 posts

Luggage rules are that of the operating carrier.

In this case IB. It’s literally only BA operated HBO only fares within OneWorld that don’t give the extra status luggage.

We’ve flown AA on a BA codeshare ticket and brought luggage with us before just fine and shall be doing so a couple more times this year!

I do prefer flying BA back to LHR though (UK 261 protection) but £50 for one suitcase back is cheaper than paying for non-HBO fare both ways.

yonasl 954 posts

In this case IB. It’s literally only BA operated HBO only fares within OneWorld that don’t give the extra status luggage.

We’ve flown AA on a BA codeshare ticket and brought luggage with us before just fine and shall be doing so a couple more times this year!

I do prefer flying BA back to LHR though (UK 261 protection) but £50 for one suitcase back is cheaper than paying for non-HBO fare both ways.

Thanks for the clarification!

jayjay 74 posts

Thanks! Ive always heard that the checked luggage is usuallt decided by the carrier you book with vs the hand luggage being dictated by the flight operator. Thanks for clarifying, I have a Basic Iberia flight booked but operated by BA, sounds like I wont get checked luggage even with OW Sapphire.

Does anyone know if, when I purchase 1 bag, do I get another free? As the checked luggage fares get 2×32 kg with Sapphire?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.