Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice IHG Free Night In London; best use?

• alig4th 322 posts

Hi all,

I’ve got an IHG Free Night voucher that expires 11 April (book by, not use by). I’d hoped to have used this voucher for a night away with the wife in London while the in-laws looked after the kid. However, we’ve now got another kid imminent, and given you can only book the basic room with the voucher (i.e. can’t go with the whole family), either my wife or I might end up spending a night away solo at some point in the near future, just so it’s not wasted.

My question; where is the best place to stay for the best benefits/value? I’m Spire, but considering getting Ambassador status if it helps.

I’m thinking the Kimpton Fitzroy, because it looks lovely, there’s the free reception hour and the raid-the-minibar voucher. Is breakfast included?

Was also looking at the Intercon Park Lane… Are there any other perks here? Is there a lounge with free drinks/snacks/breakfast?

Do any of the London Crowne Plazas have lounges (free drinks, snacks, breakfast) which would add value to a stay at one of those?

Thanks in advance

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

IHG don’t include breakfast anywhere apart from Holiday Inn Express, but you can often negotiate a reasonable add-on price directly.
    I would say go for the most expensive option, just to annoy Mr X if he’s lurking. If this is the Kimpton, even better, make sure you can’t actually stand up at the end of social hour.

You’ve got plenty of time if you book a year out (though don’t forget that if you cancel after the expiry date, I think you lose the voucher) so get planning a birthday/anniversary/whatever night without the kids.

On the other hand, there are some CPs and HI/HIEs which DO offer family rooms with the free night certificate if you do a bit of research. DON’T put 4 into the search field as nothing will come up, put 2 in and rooms which accommodate more sometimes appear. If you want to go somewhere other than London, the CP Stratford Upon Avon allows this. You can often also negotiate an upgrade to a bigger room directly with a hotel if you feel like it. Not London, or even the UK, but I used my free night cert last week in Boston (as part of a 3 night stay) and got an upgrade to a 1200 sq ft suite for $160 pn.

Amy C 369 posts

Anna, what is this ‘social hour’ thing? Been told it exists but not exactly sure what it is. Wine tasting? Is it something included in the stay you just turn up to?

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

Lol! Each Kimpton has social hour where they serve complimentary drinks (usually red & white wine, beer and soft drinks) about 6 pm. They don’t actually publicise it that much – probably because in the UK people would probably try and gate-crash it off the street (they don’t check if you’re a hotel guest!) So it’s best to ask when and where when you check in (or email in advance to make sure you arrive in time).

alig4th 322 posts

IHG don’t include breakfast anywhere apart from Holiday Inn Express…
    … There are some CPs and HI/HIEs which DO offer family rooms with the free night certificate if you do a bit of research. DON’T put 4 into the search field as nothing will come up, put 2 in and rooms which accommodate more sometimes appear…

Thanks, I knew that about breakfast but assumed lounge-access may have included something and/or (as you say) we could negotiate a rate

Didn’t know that about the family room search function; I’ll have a play and see what pops, thanks!

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

Search for 2 adults but then look at all the rooms which come up as “FREE” – it will say on each one how many people they accommodate. Also most hotels will let you bring a travel cot on top of the stated capacity (or put one in the room).

Rooms with 2 double beds are obviously ideal for families with 1 or 2 young children who are old enough not to be in a cot.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    alig4th 322 posts

Search for 2 adults but then look at all the rooms which come up as “FREE” – it will say on each one how many people they accommodate. Also most hotels will let you bring a travel cot on top of the stated capacity (or put one in the room).

Rooms with 2 double beds are obviously ideal for families with 1 or 2 young children who are old enough not to be in a cot.

Nothing obvious… Looks like one of us is having a pamper day in a nice London hotel some time in August

aseftel 266 posts

DON’T put 4 into the search field as nothing will come up, put 2 in and rooms which accommodate more sometimes appear.

I don’t know if it is still the case, but specifically for the free night vouchers searching for four used to open up some additional inventory in bigger rooms/suites (i.e. rooms that didn’t appear as free if you only searched for two) at a few properties. If you don’t mind travelling a bit, worth setting a 100mi radius on the search and seeing if anything interesting pops out in the booking engine.

APPL 23 posts

Not sure if they have fixed it, but you used to be able to book suites in Mr & Mrs Smith using Creation vouchers. I think there were some extras thrown in for Mr & Mrs Smith bookings too, like bottle of wine/credit/breakfast.

memesweeper 1,244 posts

My question; where is the best place to stay for the best benefits/value? I’m Spire, but considering getting Ambassador status if it helps.

I’m thinking the Kimpton Fitzroy, because it looks lovely, there’s the free reception hour and the raid-the-minibar voucher. Is breakfast included?

If you have status, I’d do the Fitzroy. You should get an upgrade away from the very smallest rooms. It’s a great hotel at a good location, and, as others have said, you get a free drinks hour. There are options for a cheap breakfast nearby if you don’t want to pay.

I’ve done the IC as Spire and your status will count for little. Having said that, the drinks voucher for will get you a superb couple of cocktails. The restaurant is pretty decent too. If you do stay I’d recommend Le Deli Robuchon on Piccadilly for breakfast — worth the walk.

alig4th 322 posts

I’ve gone and booked the Kimpton Fitzroy for early a January 2023 for my 40th. Hopefully we can get the folks to babysit!

Thanks for the thoughts and advice everybody

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

That would have been my choice – get the babysitting agreed early and on the calendar so by the time anything else crops up you’ve got a firm commitment for your date!

alig4th 322 posts

That would have been my choice – get the babysitting agreed early and on the calendar so by the time anything else crops up you’ve got a firm commitment for your date!

Ah, you’ve met my flakey parents, I see… 😛

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

I had to get it recorded as one set of parents would forget and the other would decide they’d rather jet off to Bermuda or something instead after agreeing.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.