Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards IHG guaranteed room benefit

• WJACK 12 posts

I had signed up for the IHG Diamond Elite offer highlighted by HFP then as chance would have it needed to book a Holiday Inn Express in Belgium for three nights. When trying to book online there was no availability so after calling customer service I was put through to the hotel who then after checking my IHG status made a booking. After the call I was concerned maybe someone has just had their booking cancelled to fit me in. I assume they keep a percentage of rroms free for this sort of thing?

davefl 1,217 posts

No, they’ll either pay overtime/extra for housekeeping to make up a room where someone checked out that day, or they’ll walk a non-status guest to another nearby hotel (or just reject them at checkin) saying there was an overbook etc.

It’s one of the few benefits of platinum status.

I did it a couple of years ago in Upper Michigan where the only decent hotel was a sold out IHG one and the alternative would have been a 100 mile drive and a very early start next day.

Supergers49 225 posts

I had to do this at the Pullman Munich a few years ago. We were on holiday, my wife unexpectedly had to go into hosiptal for an operation while there. I asked to extend the room booking by a week, they refused. It turned out that as I was Accor Platinum I had a guaranteed room with 48/72 hours notice, so they acquiesced… however they did say another customer would be getting moved.

dst87 263 posts

Interesting… I didn’t know this was a benefit. I wonder if it would work for hotels in Liverpool over Eurovision weekend… I assume you need to contact the hotel directly, as even when signed in I cannot book online.

Though, I suppose they can offer to sell me a room for £2,500 / night and stop me using that benefit in that way. Seems tenuous, really.

davefl 1,217 posts

Interesting… I didn’t know this was a benefit. I wonder if it would work for hotels in Liverpool over Eurovision weekend… I assume you need to contact the hotel directly, as even when signed in I cannot book online.

Though, I suppose they can offer to sell me a room for £2,500 / night and stop me using that benefit in that way. Seems tenuous, really.

No, you need to go via the IHG call centre, not the hotel. I paid standard rate, no idea what would happen in a case where the city is selling at stupid rates.

WJACK 12 posts

No, you need to go via the IHG call centre, not the hotel. I paid standard rate, no idea what would happen in a case where the city is selling at stupid rates.

I got the room for a standard rate

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.