Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Inbound flight to a different airport using avios – possible?

• WoodyYork 29 posts

This question may be answered somewhere already, but I can’t find it specifically answered right now.

I’m travelling from the North of England to Tokyo next Easter with a family of 5. For various reason (a very long story, in part due to the glitch the other day with tickets not being released as expected at 1am) we have secured tickets to fly from Madrid to Tokyo at the start of the Easter holidays. I have to say, I’m chuffed to have got 5 economy tickets for 119,000 avios + £361 (I had one companion voucher), even if I’ll need to book a flight out from Manchester to Madrid.

My question is this: In a couple of weeks time, I’ll be looking to secure inbound tickets. I’m aware that I can add an inbound flight and claim back avios due to the CV used on the outbound flight. Does that still apply if I managed to secure tickets from Tokyo to Manchester (via LHR)? i.e. can a companion voucher be used on a return flight to a different city?

NorthernLass 8,270 posts

This is certainly covered elsewhere – read up on open jaw bookings and the usual articles and threads on avios plus 241.

But in a nutshell, you can get BA to add your return to MAN on your inbound so you can get your luggage checked through on the return. This will be free if you are flying on a BA flight, otherwise you’ll be charged the relevant avios and fees.

WoodyYork 29 posts

Thanks! I’ve read up on open jaw bookings, but most articles only reference travelling back from a different airport, rather than to a different destination airport.

That’s great to know it can be done (if I can secure the tickets).

NorthernLass 8,270 posts

It works both ways. In the threads you see a lot of examples of people starting outside the U.K. to avoid high surcharges, but returning to the U.K. I’m doing this in November, DUB-LHR-MEX in F then returning MEX-LHR-MAN in CW. It was £600 less than BA’s F surcharges from the U.K.!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.