Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Insuring against having to cancel flights

• RonnieB 288 posts

I have a number of EDI-LHR flights to take before end of October, but I am also waiting on a date for a hospital operation – what is the best way to insure myself against having to cancel flights and hotels because of hospital admittance? Would Amex Platinum insurance cover it?

Thanks

SamG 1,639 posts

Unlikely as it’s a known event and therefore not really in the scope of insurance

Some options are to see if there is Avios availability, book on Expedia as they have some flexible options or sites like lastminute.com offer “cancel for any reason” insurance

memesweeper 1,242 posts

– BA fully-flex fares
    – BA select semi-flex fares
    – BA Avios fares
    – lastminute.com exchange-for-a-voucher fares

… I think the lastminute offer might also be available via some other OTAs which might be slightly less completely awful than lastminute.com

Last time I needed to book a “but I might need to cancel it” fare, there was not a way to make it refundable for less than the cost of the cheapest ticket. So I booked a “disposable” one-way instead. As it transpired, the reason for possible cancellation crystallised within 24h of booking so I got a full refund anyway.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.