Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards InterContinental NY Times Square VS InterContinental NY Barclay

• pilotoui 16 posts

I need to book a 7 night stay for August. I have Ambassador Diamond Elite membership and want to take advantage of my benefits. I am wondering if anyone had any experience between these 2 hotels. They both have similar rates $332 VS $315 per night and both are in similar location.

TIA

Richie 977 posts

I stayed at the Barclay pre-refurb, I like the location.

K3v 27 posts

I’m going at the end of June and chose the times square I’ve the Barclay. I have never stopped at the Barclay but it has much better public areas .
    I’ve heard the sound proofing in the rooms at the moment barclay is not great, this along with the great views fron the upper floor at times square was the reason for my choice .

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

Barclay has a lot of public space and was recently refurbed. Times Square is a bed factory with very little circulation space – it’s basically ‘walk in, desk, lifts’ and that’s it.

Barclay is also a far quieter area. TS is marginally more central but it really depends where you want to be. Midweek I guess TS is a little less chaotic than weekends.

If offered a night at either for free I’d take Barclay.

Only upside of TS is that the views from the high floors are impressive. Barclay is low rise (by NW standards).

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,046 posts
    Hilda M 60 posts

Heads up for anyone considering the IC BARCLAY – just reading on FT forum that there have been three cases of Legionnaires disease over the last 12 months (sounds like an ongoing problem) I’ve just cancelled my September booking

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,084 posts

Heads up for anyone considering the IC BARCLAY – just reading on FT forum that there have been three cases of Legionnaires disease over the last 12 months (sounds like an ongoing problem) I’ve just cancelled my September booking

Link?

Hilda M 60 posts

Link?

I’ve just replied with links but probably needs moderation. Check the Intercontinental section BARCLAY thread – last page – that’s on FlyerTalk

pilotoui 16 posts

I have a week long stay coming up in august. I’m seriously concerned now.
    My stay was all points booked so I can just cancel, but I was looking forward this this as I am diamond ambassador member

Lula 205 posts

We are just back from a week at the Barclay. The legionella reports are true. There are letters in the guest rooms explaining it and saying that the authorities have said it’s safe for guests.

Disappointing that they don’t proactively warn you though, even at check in.

The hotel is OK. Nothing special. There’s the sense that they’re trying to rinse every last cent out of guests with respect to loyalty entitlements and there’s a lack of transparency about the amenity fee.

But overall we had a nice time. Location is good and having the lounge pass was good.

Richie 977 posts

Thanks for the information @Lula I’m glad you had a nice time. I do like the location. Transparency about amenity fees is just an annoyance, but unfortunately that’s to be expected now.

rams 223 posts

Wow. Think I’ll stick to times sq now

Hilda M 60 posts

Link?

I wasn’t sure if HfP approved of links to another forum

Here’s the press link https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-york-hotel-outbreak-shows-rising-summertime-threat-of-legionnaires-disease-301863871.html

And it’s discussed in the BARCLAY thread starting with this post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35402566-post390.html

Someone later refers to not receiving the letter in their room etc

rams 223 posts

Just completed my points stay at Times Square. Had booked 2 double lower floor and as diamond ambassador was upgraded to classic on higher floor.

At check in confirmed no resort fee to pay and as diamond breakfast was free for 2. My 4pm late check out also confirmed.

Breakfast is American buffet. Fairly bog standard.

Times Square is a crazy busy area. Since my last trip NY is a lot dirtier and now they’ve legalised it, stinks of weed everywhere.

Other than wanting the 4pm late check out not sure if I’d return to Intercon Times Sq as first choice

jj 517 posts

not sure if I’d return to Intercon Times Sq as first choice

TBH, not sure that I’d return to NY as a first choice after my last visit. Too many addicts, too much stink of dope, too squalid and too dominated by big boring chains selling the same stuff that you can buy anywhere in the world. The USA has many places that are more interesting to visit.

Hilda M 60 posts

I’m returning to the IC TS soon as I mentioned above I had cancelled my Barclays September stay. I think it’s general pricing might keep me away in future from NY: last month a sandwich in Pret cost $11.50, yesterday in London I paid £4.99 for practically the same offering 😳

I’m returning to the IC TS soon as I mentioned above I had cancelled my Barclays September stay. I think it’s general pricing might keep me away in future from NY: last month a sandwich in Pret cost $11.50, yesterday in London I paid £4.99 for practically the same offering 😳

Agreed. I’ve given up on lunch in NY unless my hotel’s club lounge provides a daytime spread.

Andrew J 769 posts

Agreed, NY has gone downhill over the last few years and the inflation and exchange rate changes mean it’s twice as expensive as Europe, so I’d rather go elsewhere now.

qc 202 posts

I haven’t been to NY for 8 years so am rather shocked at the reports of the high costs and the smell of dope never mind the Legionnaires disease at the Barclay.
    Last time we were there with family so stayed at the IC TS and prior to that we stayed at the Barclay pre renovation.

If neither of these hotels are ideal what about one of the Kimptons?

I have a friend who is a Platinum Ambassador who will be arriving in NY on the Queen Mary with her adult disabled daughter – I know she won’t like IC TS and I’m loathe to recommend the Barclay in case they get Legionnaires disease. Where should I advise her to stay?

I haven’t been to NY for 8 years so am rather shocked at the reports of the high costs and the smell of dope never mind the Legionnaires disease at the Barclay.
    Last time we were there with family so stayed at the IC TS and prior to that we stayed at the Barclay pre renovation.

If neither of these hotels are ideal what about one of the Kimptons?

I have a friend who is a Platinum Ambassador who will be arriving in NY on the Queen Mary with her adult disabled daughter – I know she won’t like IC TS and I’m loathe to recommend the Barclay in case they get Legionnaires disease. Where should I advise her to stay?

The Kimpton Eventi also had Legionnaires and the Kimpton Muse shut or reflagged. Scant Kimpton options left in Manhattan.

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

There’s a new Kimpton opening in NYC, can’t remember the date.

JDB 4,339 posts

It seems unfortunate that apparently having this lofty ‘Platinum Ambassador’ status appears to limit one either to hotels with a known risk of Legionnaire’s disease or one in squalid location. If one wishes to travel to NYC at all, there is a whole universe of decent hotels.

Richard Peters 171 posts

Booked into IC Barclay way back in April before this broke. Just dropped hotel an email for update and may move if needs be. Somehow though can’t see hotel saying it’s a health hazard don’t come! Was/Is a good price points as well 🙁

Richard Peters 171 posts

This reply from IC Barclay so methinks we will stay as OH likes the IC brand

The safety and security of our guest is of utmost importance. Rest assured that the hotel has been considered safe by the Department of Health to accommodate our guests, and for using the water for drinking, showering, brushing your teeth and other purposes. We have not had any recent cases.

Last month, the New York City Department of Health (hereinafter “DOH”) requested our cooperation to collect and test a variety of water samples throughout the building. The testing revealed very low levels of Legionella bacteria present in some of the samples collected. The DOH deemed it safe to continue operating and for guests to stay at the hotel while remediation work was underway.

We are pleased to share that we have successfully completed our remediation efforts, and our most recent interim sampling did not indicate any signs of the bacteria present within the hotel facilities.

JDB 4,339 posts

With the scrutiny it’s had, the Barclay is probably one of the safer places to be now, although it will have been sloppy practices that led to the outbreak in the first place. Don’t let your OH get too carried away with being swayed by the IC brand! Choose hotel by hotel.

IHG management openly admit IC is a problem brand when analysts discover it has the highest ADR/RevPAR range of any sub brand with some high class hotels, lots of OK to middling ones and some terrible ones rendering the brand a bit meaningless. They are trying to fix it, although by skimming the better ICs to the Regent brand as part of the answer, they risk pushing the rest of the ICs further down.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.