Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards Is there a realistic way of paying my rent with a CC and get points?

• XmaX 21 posts

I have quite a few credit card, but I’m not a huge spender – I doubt I’d spend more than £7k annually even if I put all my spendings on a single card. Being able to also somehow pay my rent with my credit card would make a huge difference. I currently pay by bank transfer. Is there any way of doing this, without some ridiculous fees?

Rhys
    HfP Staff
    189 posts

Not really, no, unless you rent from one of those big corporate renting companies that might accept card.

To pay bank transfers by card you can use Billhop but it charges a fee: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/03/27/how-does-billhop-work/

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,087 posts

Not really, no, unless you rent from one of those big corporate renting companies that might accept card.

To pay bank transfers by card you can use Billhop but it charges a fee: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/03/27/how-does-billhop-work/

Yep, this. Thankfully my agent has a web portal that accepts debit card payments so Curve all the way.

DevonDiamond 71 posts

Live in an Airbnb

The Urbanite 117 posts

One way is to top up an account like Revolut then use that to pay the bills. But you need to ensure that you credit card plays ball with whichever account you choose.

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

Which card/s would you want to put the spend on? Amex doesn’t work with anything really apart from Billhop and then you’ve got the fee and need to be paying an established business. Revolut has more options for Visa/MC but each card has its own rules about charges etc.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,087 posts

Which card/s would you want to put the spend on? Amex doesn’t work with anything really apart from Billhop and then you’ve got the fee and need to be paying an established business. Revolut has more options for Visa/MC but each card has its own rules about charges etc.

Bendy

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

OP wants to use a credit card though!

CarpalTravel 362 posts

OP wants to use a credit card though!

Which they can, so long as it isn’t Amex and they accept Debit Card payments?

Reney 755 posts

One way is to top up an account like Revolut then use that to pay the bills. But you need to ensure that you credit card plays ball with whichever account you choose.

Also Revolut don’t like too many top ups and transfer. I got the warning pop up after paying my kitchen fitter. Does anyone have a copy of the warning notification to share and tips to avoid upsetting them? I still have a lot of trademans to pay for my renovation, if only they accept Morrison or Amazon gift cards 🤣.

Harrier25 849 posts

Does anyone have a copy of the warning notification to share and tips to avoid upsetting them? I still have a lot of trademans to pay for my

You must use it as a current account. I have a few direct debits set up and make a few debit card transactions every few weeks.

Also don’t get too greedy. I only move in around £2,500 a month in one transaction and then use it slowly thoughout the month.

All that seems to keep the wolf from the door!

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Reney 755 posts

Does anyone have a copy of the warning notification to share and tips to avoid upsetting them? I still have a lot of trademans to pay for my

You must use it as a current account. I have a few direct debits set up and make a few debit card transactions every few weeks.

Also don’t get too greedy. I only move in around £2,500 a month in one transaction and then use it slowly thoughout the month.

I’m confused, if you are transferring one lump sum payment in (presumable from another bank account) and use it slowly, what’s the points angle?

SteveJ 977 posts

@Reney the transferring will be from a points earning card.

Harrier25 849 posts

@Reney the transferring will be from a points earning card.

Correct. What’s the benefit of transferring from another bank account for no reward?

Revolut should never have an issue if you are just transferring in from a UK current account. Nothing for anyone to get concerned with.

shub 87 posts

I tried to top up a small amount using Bendy with Beardy behind it but was charged Cash advance fee, which card is still accepted by Revolut ?

Harrier25 849 posts

I tried to top up a small amount using Bendy with Beardy behind it but was charged Cash advance fee, which card is still accepted by Revolut ?

Sorry but after the Creation mess, I would prefer not to share that information…and hopefully others won’t either. It’s trial and error until you find the right card to use, unfortunately.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.