Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Is there any way to use an FTV to get double tier points?

• Mighty Hunter 36 posts

I imagine the answer is no, but just in case…

I have so much money tied up in vouchers that I can’t justify using any more cash to book flights or holidays.

Problem is, my wife has rather enjoyed her Gold Card benefits, primarily use of First Wing at T5, and Cathay first lounge at T3 (excellent!), and would really like to keep them. Currently it is due to expire on 30 June 2023 with a tier point end date of 8 May. She will need to get 1125 points between May and December this year or 1500 by May 2023. I’ve tried a dummy booking but adding a car seems to block the FTV option.

A couple of European breaks in J would give us 640 which would help enormously, but I don’t think it’s possible. I know BA need the cash-flow, but it makes it much more likely that we end up using EZY and pay for lounge access if we want it.

Thanks

Mighty Hunter 36 posts

There were no answers to this when I first posted, however I have seen recently (can’t remember where – post covid fog probably!) that for a BA holiday it is possible to either pay the deposit online and phone to add a voucher, or just phone and book using a voucher. Someone said they had done both successfully, and got the double tier points. The reason, it would seem, is that the promotion says it is not possible to pay with a voucher online

Has anyone on here had similar success, we need to use an awful lot of vouchers!

Thanks

yonasl 954 posts

There were no answers to this when I first posted, however I have seen recently (can’t remember where – post covid fog probably!) that for a BA holiday it is possible to either pay the deposit online and phone to add a voucher, or just phone and book using a voucher. Someone said they had done both successfully, and got the double tier points. The reason, it would seem, is that the promotion says it is not possible to pay with a voucher online

Has anyone on here had similar success, we need to use an awful lot of vouchers!

Thanks

Somebody recently asked how to use multiple vouchers on a BA holiday. Just as you thought, I replied that evouchers could not be used on BA holidays (as per the T&Cs). A few people replied this is indeed the case “online” but that over the phone you can pay the balance with them. Nobody seems to have countered that so I suppose I stand corrected (which is great as I had a few too!)

With FTVs however I am not aware if the same case!

If possible, I do not see why BA wouldn’t give you the tier points as only reward bookings are supposed not to yield any (well, recently some are posting even their rebooked avios flights have been giving them some but shhhhh)

ChrisC 956 posts

What sort of vouchers are these?

If it’s a pure cash FTV (from say a cancelled BA holiday) then those indeed can be used towards another BA holiday.

It they contain avios or an 2-4-1 then they can’t.

And again as I posted the other day it’s possible to use an e- voucher towards a holiday but they can’t be used online.

Using vouchers to pay for a holiday should not affect the double tier points offer – as long as the trip complies with the T&Cs of that offer.

yonasl 954 posts

What sort of vouchers are these?

If it’s a pure cash FTV (from say a cancelled BA holiday) then those indeed can be used towards another BA holiday.

It they contain avios or an 2-4-1 then they can’t.

And again as I posted the other day it’s possible to use an e- voucher towards a holiday but they can’t be used online.

Using vouchers to pay for a holiday should not affect the double tier points offer – as long as the trip complies with the T&Cs of that offer.

@MightyHunter may mean the FTV that were being provided BEFORE evouchers when you asked to cancel a flight (the ones that were linked specifically to a traveler’s name)

Mighty Hunter 36 posts

Thanks all. I have both so can use either/or, I’ll try the FTV first as that always requires a phone booking, if they can’t accept that I’ll use e-vouchers. No vouchers have Avios attached. This is going to be very useful if it works!

ChrisC 956 posts

No problem then.

I’ve used both an FTV and e-vouchers to pay towards another BA holidays booking.

What I did was to book the trip online paying the deposit (just easier to do that bit myself than feed the agent flight and hotel details) and then applied the vouchers via email.

ChrisC 956 posts

@MightyHunter may mean the FTV that were being provided BEFORE evouchers when you asked to cancel a flight (the ones that were linked specifically to a traveler’s name)

Any FTVs that were issued when BWC first came in in March 2020 for cash only flight bookings were turned into e-vouchers long long ago.

Mighty Hunter 36 posts

Thanks again, had a search and just found the replacement e-voucher!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.