Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Issues paying by debit card

• HornetBrad 40 posts

Does anyone else have issues making ad-hoc debit card payments to their Barclaycard Avios card?

I try to make mid-term payments to free up more of my credit limit, but the app lets you get all the way through and then says it was declined by the bank – even though I have definitely accepted it.

It seems to happen most of the time but does sometimes work on smaller amounts, around £1k usually goes through. Debit card payments to other providers (Amex etc) work fine, even with at high values.

All very weird and a massive waste of time…

duggie1982 261 posts

I do not use a debit card but make mid-term payments via bank transfer and updates in about an hour or so

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

I had this issue a few months ago but have since set up a direct debit and have made a payment on that debit card with no problems since then, don’t know if there’s a link?!

HornetBrad 40 posts

I do not use a debit card but make mid-term payments via bank transfer and updates in about an hour or so

Thanks both – I already have a direct debit setup (same account as the debit card I’ve been trying) but didn’t realise you could make Faster Payments to them too. Just tried it and worked a treat, so will do this from now on.

Mark Peterborough 29 posts

I had this problem today . My current account available balance suggests that I have made a payment . Nothing pending on my Barclaycard balance . I have done this many times previously and normally within 20 minutes the payment appears on my Barclaycard.

Mark Peterborough 29 posts

I had this problem today . My current account available balance suggests that I have made a payment . Nothing pending on my Barclaycard balance . I have done this many times previously and normally within 20 minutes the payment appears on my Barclaycard.

Well I have just checked and the payment is now showing correctly on the Barclaycard

James 21 posts

You can only pay off processed transactions by debit card.

If you use your current balance minus pending transactions it will process.

FazzyBear 24 posts

If you leave the app to confirm on your banking app it may log you out of Barlcays App and interfere with the transaction.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.