Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Keep 70,000 Avios if I cancel BAPP Amex early?

• MeowMix 12 posts

I’ve already hit £3K in my first month, will the 70K get awarded this month or after 3 months? If I cancel my BAPP card after I receive the 70K avios will I get to keep it and receive a pro-rated annual fee refund?

WillPS 194 posts

You should see the 70,000 points sitting in your Amex account. Once these are paid in to your BA account (and you can see them in there on ba.com) you can safely cancel the Amex. This should occur somewhere around your payment due date.

Any time before and they will be forfeit.

ChasP 165 posts

Might be worth keeping until you hit and receive the 241 voucher
    The earning rate of 1.5 avios per £ is also top notch so worth doing your sums

louie 119 posts

Any time before and they will be forfeit.

That wasn’t my experience cancelling a BAPP last year. I wouldn’t chance it when that number of Avios are at stake mind you.

henz 1 post

This

How does one link the BA accounts? I remember during registration I had to register for a BAEC membership but how do I confirm they are linked and they match up to the BAEC number I have?

Thanks

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,207 posts

You’ll find out at the end of the month when the Avios accrued do (or do not) go across. If you didn’t give the BAEC number when applying you could be in trouble so I’d ring Amex and tell them the number.

If you don’t, experience shows that Amex will open a new BA account for you but refuse to tell you the account number and/or the password …..

nectar collector 282 posts

The full Amex statement for my BAPP shows the linked BAEC number at the bottom, after the transaction listings.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.