Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Larnaca area of Cyprus

• memesweeper 1,244 posts

Normally I research an area and then travel, already with a clear idea of what to do.

In about ten days I’m breaking the mould and going somewhere with very little idea what to do (I’m actually going to an event for two of the six days). The destination is Larnaca, Cyprus. I’d be happy enough lounging at the poolside in the Indigo where I’m staying, but if there’s anything you think I ought to check out please feel free to let me know.

Tocsin 60 posts

If you’re interested in wildlife, it should be a good time for autumn bird migrations through Cyprus and Larnaca salt lake is a good spot. (I’m no expert, just research for Mrs T from one of our C-19 cancelled holidays).

memesweeper 1,244 posts

If you’re interested in wildlife, it should be a good time for autumn bird migrations through Cyprus and Larnaca salt lake is a good spot. (I’m no expert, just research for Mrs T from one of our C-19 cancelled holidays).

I’ll take some bins — thanks!

Gagravarr 62 posts

Take the bus up to Nicosia, and visit the Cyprus Museum for some amazing history.

Bring your passport, and walk across over to the Turkish side. A lot cheaper, and feels like you’ve walked back in time a bit!

If you hire a car, there’s some amazing archaeological sites about, though a few of the best sites are on the Turkish side and talking a hire car over the border can be a bit fiddly.

can 506 posts

I heard that if you get your passport stamped by the Turks [in Cyprus], entering Greece can be problematic later on — turks being occupier and all.. Is that right?

memesweeper 1,244 posts

I heard that if you get your passport stamped by the Turks [in Cyprus], entering Greece can be problematic later on — turks being occupier and all.. Is that right?

I believe you can do as with other “controversial” stamps and ask for it on another piece of paper. I might do the pedestrian crossing in Nicosia.

YC 221 posts

If you think you might bored with 6 days in the Indigo, there are loads of more resorty hotels in limassol. The parklane provided excellent elite recognition 2 years ago. Taxis are not cheap (c.EUR50 each way from larnaca to nicosia) so best to hire a car if moving around

John 1,000 posts

Why would you take a taxi when the bus (more of a coach) is €4

memesweeper 1,244 posts

STOP PRESS: my definitely-not-coming–following-a-car-accident friend is probably coming after all… he’ll hire a car! yay!

Thanks for the suggestion @YC but I don’t think I’ll park at the Parklane. It looks fabulous, but I have a limited stash of Marriott points and will try and blow them on a 5-4-4 next year. I have to be on top of Larnaca for the first two/three days. The indie is ideally placed during the event I’m attending.

Comrade Chag 79 posts

Yes, you can forget Greece after that.

pbcold 346 posts

I have stayed at The Indigo and enjoyed it – a very short walk into the main square where there is an interesting church and lots of restaurants.

DevonDiamond 71 posts

No need to get a stamp when entering / leaving the Turkish side at Ledara Street.

Agree re not taking a car across.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.