Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Marriott Bonvoy Le Meridien Maldives

• FlyingPtarmigan 53 posts

Currently in resort on a redemption stay.

Very good value if anyone is thinking about it.

Lots of niggles on Flyertalk – a few of which I agree with – but I think I’ve only ever had one flawless stay in any hotel.

The room is amongst the nicest I’ve had anywhere.

They are still trying to build their reputation, so currently only around 60% full and they have a whole wing of overwater villas completed but not yet open (July current plan date) – so they are likely to have good redemption availability for a while. But prices can only go up from where they are.

Cranzle 272 posts

Sounds great.

Where else in The Maldives have you stayed by way of comparison?

FlyingPtarmigan 53 posts

First time to the Maldives – so can’t do a comparison in that respect, but have comparison is against Sugar Beach and Hotel Chocolat in St Lucia and (what was) the St Regis and the two Lux hotels in Mauritus.

The St Regis was the previous holder of the best (holiday) room award (before it went downhill and got demoted to JW).

The overwater villas are bigger than they look in the PR photos and very well designed with the exception of a frustrating lack of drawer space.

Service levels and facility quality is very good – helped by the fact that it’s all brand new. Particularly well thought out gym with something for everyone – you could do a good CrossFit workout through to sitting mindlessly on a bike.

The pools are disappointing if you’re into swimming laps.

I haven’t been wowed by the food. But I’ve only been here two nights.

I’m sure other Marriott properties in the Maldives might be “nicer” in some dimensions, but it’s hard to see how double the points per night would get you double the value. If that makes sense.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,198 posts

Thanks. I might do another article on this as a sister to the Radisson Maldives piece we did recently.

Cranzle 272 posts

Do you have Marriott status and did they recognise it? If so, what status do you have and did they recognise it by way of upgrade and/or free breakfast?

FlyingPtarmigan 53 posts

I’m Platinum, which they pro-actively reached out to acknowledge pre-arrival with an email.

Breakfast offered or $30 USD off a daily meal plan:
    – half board $95 (no beverages)
    – full board plus $155 (limited range of alcoholic served with meals plus soft drinks from the minibar)
    – all inclusive $230 (wider range of alcoholic drinks available any time plus anything in the minibar)

Take $30 off above prices if status gives you a free breakfast.

The alcohol includes a selection of beer, wine by the glass, spirits and cocktails. A big enough selection with full board, but a bigger selection with all inclusive.

We’ve taken the full board plus option as we only tend to have the odd beer between meals. Whilst in principle we’re only supposed to have a choice of one colour wine per outlet, staff seem to be pragmatic about the wine all costing the same anyway – so seem to be happy to pour anything that’s available by the glass.

There is a very good thread on Flyertalk with links to menus, etc and chatter there is that they are very good at offering upgrades.

Probably for the first time ever, I pro-actively reached out to ask them not to upgrade me as the booked sunrise overwater villa and the Flyertalk consensus is that the sunrise side has calmer water and better afternoon shade, which I’d agree with.

They referenced my email at check in and have made a standing offer that we can ask to move to sunset or a beach villa if they have one when we ask, which I think is pretty reasonable.

Most of the beach villas seem to have a limited view as they have foliage in front of them. The GM told us that the foliage was a conscious choice as Middle Eastern and Russian clients tend to choose that room type and value the privacy.

The very useful Flyertalk thread is at
    https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1997085-le-meridien-maldives-resort-thilamaafushi-maldives-master-thread-72.html

We ate at their signature Japanese restaurant on the first night, which was underwhelming for the price. And ate late off a buffet on the second night, which is never a good move. But the food off the a la carte options other than that has been excellent.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Seems like a decent mid range option. Reasonable costs, by Maldives standards for F&B and speed boat.

Does it have a kids club? Are the beaches littered with construction materials?

FlyingPtarmigan 53 posts

Kids club. Check.

Good reports from the parents doing the mixology class with us. Lots of focus on marine biology. Very international because of the client base. The guy who did our mixology class runs a mocktail session for the older children as part of kids club.

Zero construction materials.

Oodles of beach. Lots of sun beds. Zero competition for them.

Sea plane transfer rather than speed boat – around 35 minutes.

Cranzle 272 posts

FlyingPtarmigan has inspired me to try and book a Marriott redemption in Maldives.

Does anyone know how this resort compares with JW Marriott?

St Regis doesn’t seem to have any redemption availability (although it does keep saying error)

Tom H 9 posts

How did you get there? Redemption ex eu etc?

FlyingPtarmigan 53 posts

How did you get there? Redemption ex eu etc?

Redemption – 305k points for 10 days including the 5 for 4

I was lucky enough to pick up BA redemption flights as well – although only after having booked economy for cash, which is now tied up in an e-voucher.

FlyingPtarmigan 53 posts

Does anyone know how this resort compares with JW Marriott?

You might try asking on the Flyertalk thread as there are people there who have done both.

I looked at the JW when booking – the overwater villas are bigger (huge) and much more spaced out.

But they were double the points.

KevinC 76 posts

Le Meridien sounds good. Thanks for the info.

There’s also a Westin in the Maldives that opened late 2020, just to add to the Bonvoy choice.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    FlyingPtarmigan 53 posts

Was chatting to a lifetime Titanium member (dear god, how many nights of your life IS that?) earlier who has stayed at both St Regis in the Maldives. “Better, but not three times the points better”.

He has been told that redemption rates here are going up 20k points per night from 29th.

George K 292 posts

I’ve bitten the bullet and cashed out for St Regis – purely based on the fact that its nightly cash rate is nothing I could ever afford, let alone splashing out for five nights. If I ever go back to the Maldives after that, Le Meridien’s cash rates are just about do-able with judicious saving…

FlyingPtarmigan 53 posts

I’ve bitten the bullet and cashed out for St Regis – purely based on the fact that its nightly cash rate is nothing I could ever afford, let alone splashing out for five nights. If I ever go back to the Maldives after that, Le Meridien’s cash rates are just about do-able with judicious saving…

Good arrows.

OldFashioned 47 posts

If you have the points and happy to pay the extra for food / drinks then as a first time experience this is certainly the way to go. Having been to both they are very different experiences, both excellent in theior own way. It is about expectations for what you are booking / paying for.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Harry T will be here to tell you that you can’t claim any value from your redemption as you would never have paid cash for it.

Mrs_Fussy 8 posts

This is music to my ears esp given you have stayed at Sugar Beach. The PR pictures look like 4 star furniture and not very appealing. However, the reviews are glowing and it is my favorite place in the world so have booked 7 nights in April. Hope you had the most enjoyable holiday

FlyingPtarmigan 53 posts

Mrs_Fussy – the photos really don’t do the room justice. The only things I could criticise the room for is a strange lack of drawer space in the wall-in wardrobe and the rather strange choice of saloon doors.

As a data point, we spent around £3.8k between two adults across the Full Board Plus supplement; additional evening cocktails and activities – a mixology class, three snorkelling trip and a SUP lesson. The activities were well run and good value (IMV).

The Streets 40 posts

Just flew back from the Le Meridien Maldives yesterday! Was there the past week and completely agree with what has been said… it is a fantastic resort. Also enjoyed the free cocktail sunset drinks on Thursday night

Mrs_Fussy 8 posts

Just a quick question ( flying out 29th), is the full board limited to Turquoise and Velaa and only during meal times? Example – could I have a lunch and go by for a cocktail later during opening hours. And non alcoholic beverages like juices, smoothies, were they also limited to being consumed it the restaurants or there is more flexibility regarding non alcoholic items

Cranzle 272 posts

Would a 10 day stay be too long at this resort, or would the food etc get boring?

Also, can anyone share an email or whatsapp contact for staff at the resort so that I can contact them in advance for special requirements?

Mrs_Fussy 8 posts

No whatsapp number available but they do call you back if you request.
    Email is reservations.maldives@lemeridien.com

FlyingPtarmigan 53 posts

Would a 10 day stay be too long at this resort, or would the food etc get boring?

We went for 10 days and the menu was fine.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.