Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• Chrisasaurus 22 posts

So, short version I have 3x 241, OH has 1 left.

Travelling to NYC in Nov, 5 of us. Will use two 241s in the process but if there was a means of arranging so I don’t have to travel in same booking then I’d be able to travel later as a work trip and save paying for my own TATL leg.

Is there any way to accomplish this or should I quit looking for convoluted means to save a few Avios and just book?

Advice gratefully received!

ChrisC 956 posts

Are you in a HHA?

If so then your OH may be able to use one of your vouchers (assuming they are the same type i.e. not a mix of the new and old type)

Worth a try online at least.

Reney 768 posts

Assuming TATL stands for transatlantic, I am confused about which leg you are referring to (as it is transatlantic in both directions), so have assumed based on the point about flying later.

Other people can’t use your BAPP voucher (Barclays is another matter), with one exception if you have 2 the same (either 2 old or 2 new), then 4 people can travel together as long as you are one of them.

Are you trying to say you want to use 2*241 which are in your name on the 4 other passengers to fly together. And you yourself are on a different flight out to NYC. i.e. using your 241 on other people. Pretty sure the answer is a hard absolute no. You would need to fly the exact same itinerary as the other passengers to use vouchers in your name.

If you are saying you want fly out later (with work) and return with the other 4 people. The only way I can think of using your vouchers are:
    1. Your husband use his voucher (Passenger 1+2) to book a return
    2. Passenger 3 books one return (assume using Avios)
    3. Passenger 4 books the flight out only (assume using Avios)
    4. Assuming you have the new style 241, book the NYC to LON return for you and passenger 4.

I think step 3&4 leads to higher tax payments due to one way, so not sure it saves you money. You are also only using the new voucher one way (which some may think is “wasting it”). This means you are likely to not be using your older vouchers first.

Chrisasaurus 22 posts

This is very helpful – thank you, and makes perfect sense.

The breakdown does appear to show it isn’t going to be a significant improvement and may be worth sucking up the cost. For reference, the TATL part made sense before I edited out the paragraph – context was I have to be elsewhere in the US after the time in NYC, edited to make it less detailed but seems I made it make less sense!

Reney 768 posts

This is very helpful – thank you, and makes perfect sense.

The breakdown does appear to show it isn’t going to be a significant improvement and may be worth sucking up the cost. For reference, the TATL part made sense before I edited out the paragraph – context was I have to be elsewhere in the US after the time in NYC, edited to make it less detailed but seems I made it make less sense!

If you want to fly out, and not back with the rest, then you can use the old style voucher. If that is due to expire soon, it might swing the calculation if you have no other use for it and will just end up letting it expire. I just let one expire, which to be fair was extended during Covid.

It wasn’t clear if the other 3 passengers are kids, I think others have mentioned problems with booking a young child ticket on their own (i.e passenger 3 and 4 one way in my previous email).

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.