Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Low limit on the free card and credit limit increase?

• Maples 190 posts

I’m currently working part-time and have been given a credit limit of £250 after being accepted. Has anyone been able to increase their credit limit? Is there anything I can do to increase the limit other than waiting for 6 months?

I know that those with a £200 limit had to show proof of income due to the holding limit. I got an email stating I was accepted about 8-10 hours after the application and then it said there’s nothing else I need to do, which makes me think £250 is the lowest limit they give (excluding the holding limit) and that I’m fixed for it.

The card is on its way and I don’t know when to expect it after digging through the posts here post-launch. Anyways, I’m with Amex and two NewDay cards with a total credit limit of 10K and a salary of 12K. I was surprised to even get accepted with a low salary but my credit history with a student credit card for 3-4 years probably made me eligible. This credit to income ratio is probably why I got a low limit?

It sucks that I’m getting a £250 limit as I wanted to use this as a backup to Amex and to replace the Amazon Mastercard because it’s going to be closing in January.

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    duggie1982 263 posts

I think it’s the standard 6 month before they review.

That sucks though and feel your pain, you might just better having faster payments going in as soon as you use it as in my experience a few hours from payment to balance updates so not so bad there.

Maples 190 posts

I might have to make payments mid statement as well going forward. I’ll try to ask them if they can change but I doubt they can.

Also, can you freeze the card and stuff? Not sure if they have the feature and can’t find anything about it.

Luca M 391 posts

I might have to make payments mid statement as well going forward. I’ll try to ask them if they can change but I doubt they can.

Also, can you freeze the card and stuff? Not sure if they have the feature and can’t find anything about it.

I had such a low limit as a student starting with Barclaycard but got eventually into the 5 digits limits.. in any case, as far as I can see within the main Barclays App, you can freeze the debit card but not the Credit Cards. You only have the option to report them stolen or lost and new cards are automatically ordered.

Maples 190 posts

I had such a low limit as a student starting with Barclaycard but got eventually into the 5 digits limits..

Thanks, I’m glad there’s the chance to get into the 5 digit range but I’ll probably never need it due to me mostly using Amex. I was just getting worried because of the low limit on how things will be like down the line, though nothing major.

bombay121 2 posts

Same thing happened to me, initially got a £50 limit then had to provide proof of income within 30 days to get it to £800. Still isn’t enough and i’m having to make payments mid-statement.

Maples 190 posts

Same thing happened to me, initially got a £50 limit then had to provide proof of income within 30 days to get it to £800. Still isn’t enough and i’m having to make payments mid-statement.

Was that £50 the holding limit or something?

I’m surprised you had to show proof of income with a £50 limit because I thought only those with a £200 had to. Did you manually send them the documents or did they email you a few days after to prove income?

Also, my card arrived today, so it’s taken basically 3 days for it to arrive. A lot better than what others were experiencing in the past!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.