Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Manhattan hotel choice

• Pointsamateur 72 posts

Booked family trip to NYC in October; had lots of IHG points so used them to book Holiday Inn Times Square (8th Avenue). But read a recent article on HFP about the Conrad hotels, as I have some Hilton points, and happy to buy more in the current 100% sale, for a more spacious room.

Only the downtown one is affordable, banking on 5th night free. But obviously a totally different location, so I thought I would ask for opinions of more seasoned travellers. Happy to use the subway, as well as lots of walking, so maybe no problem at all.

Thanks in advance.

ChrisC 956 posts

I always stay in lower Manhatten. Hotel rooms do tend to be bigger or better valie (especially on the weekend) and it’s a quieter part of the city with less panhandlers and hawkers

Subway links to midtown are still good and it’s only 10-15 mins extra each way to midtown and things like the Met and MOMA etc

Also Lower Manhatten is closer to things like the WTC Memorial & Museum and the ferry to the Statue of Liberty / Ellis Island as well as the Statten Island Ferry and the Brooklyn Bridge should you choose to walk across it.

The Original Nick 112 posts

I was going to walk across the Brooklyn bridge 3 weeks ago when I was there but it was far too hot so I went across on the ferry instead.

bruinbrown 59 posts

We ended up staying in a few hotels in New York when we visited earlier this year, mainly driven by the lack of affordable options this year. We stayed around Times Square in a Courtyard (not far from the HI Times Square), the Thompson Gild Hall, the St Regis and also the Conrad Downtown. So we ended up getting to stay in quite a few areas of the city.

Personally I quite enjoyed the Conrad Downtown, the hotel is clean, modern and seemed to be in good nick generally. The rooms were a great size and we ended up getting a river view room which was more like a sliver of the river through the buildings opposite. The toiletries were Byredo. The breakfast for golds was a $25 credit per person per day which was enough for a single dish but the portion sizes were huge. I thought the area was great, it feels like Canary Wharf, and the hotel clientele will likely reflect that (it’s right next door to the Goldman Sachs office) but it’s easy to move around downtown and the city. The WTC station is within walking distance and the subway from there makes travel around the city easy, and the path trains from new jersey terminate there as well making travel to Jersey City reasonably quick, but there’s plenty nearby as well.

Overall I really liked the hotel and would happily stay there again. It’s great value on points and with the 5 for 4 it’s even better. If I had to choose between the Courtyard Times Square or the Conrad Downtown, I’d likely choose the Conrad, especially if booking on points.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

I thought the area was great, it feels like Canary Wharf, and the hotel clientele will likely reflect that (it’s right next door to the Goldman Sachs office)

Remember reading in these forums that GS actually own that hotel.

BJ 657 posts

Homewood Suites Midtown is the best Hilton property in Manhattan, check it out.

dahokolomoki 103 posts

I like the InterContinental Barclay. The rooms are plush and high end, quiet, and great beds. The hotel is super central, yet just off the main busy areas so not too busy immediately surrounding.

Breakfast is pricey (never had) but there is a very swanky bar in the lobby for drinks and any meetups, whether business or personal.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,086 posts

Speaking of Barclay, in a rush once on a Saturday I got back there from Four Seasons Downtown in 25mins. So Conrad Downtown is say 30 mins by subway from Grand Central area. Bear in mind the NY subway isn’t like the London Tube. Waits between trains can be up to 9 mins at times.

Pointsamateur 72 posts

Homewood Suites Midtown is the best Hilton property in Manhattan, check it out.

Just had a look; it’s unavailable on our dates, but having checked other dates, looks out of our budget. Thanks anyway.

Pointsamateur 72 posts

I like the InterContinental Barclay. The rooms are plush and high end, quiet, and great beds. The hotel is super central, yet just off the main busy areas so not too busy immediately surrounding.

Breakfast is pricey (never had) but there is a very swanky bar in the lobby for drinks and any meetups, whether business or personal.

I would love to stay at the Barclay. Maybe one for when we don’t have kids with us.

Pointsamateur 72 posts

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

bigsi 6 posts

@Pointsamateur we just stayed in the Conrad Downtown a few weeks ago with 1 kid. I booked the regular deluxe suite and got upgraded to executive suite (over 700 sq ft) which was great. I thought the location was excellent and more relaxed and safer / less edgy than midtown (especially with kids). If you have status the $25 pp credit won’t go very far and there are not many eateries in the hotel, 1 restaurant and a roof top bar. Great bagel place right next door and loads of other places around. I have stayed at the Barclay and also liked it but with kids would do the Conrad Downtown again as loads of space (the standard room is a suite).

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.