Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Marriott Bonvoy Marriott new data breach

• Philondon 275 posts

Keep an eye on your credit card bills!!

https://techcrunch.com/2022/07/06/marriott-breach-again/

Hotel group Marriott International has confirmed another data breach, with hackers claiming to have stolen 20 gigabytes of sensitive data, including guests’ credit card information.

The incident, first reported by Databreaches.net, is said to have happened in June when an unnamed hacking group claimed they used social engineering to trick an employee at a Marriott hotel in Maryland into giving them access to their computer.

can 506 posts

One might expect they’d learn their lesson after the first ones….

Peter K 553 posts

One might expect they’d learn their lesson after the first ones….

If I recall correctly, last time the breach was from Starwood, with Marriott having bought them by the time it came out. This time it’s on all them however.

points_worrier 295 posts

There is no reason on God’s green earth you need to give one employee full access to all the personal data, to be accessed all at once.

As a failsafe, records should not be able to be accessed at a rate of more than 5 people per minute in normal business matters, and if an employee actually accessed records at this speed for any period of time I would require a manager override to confirm that it was genuinely required.
    Not because I don’t necessarily trust employees, but it just shouldn’t be possible to download this so easily/quickly.

can 506 posts

Starwood breach happened or announced after Marriott acquired it. But you are right, it may not be M’s fault.
    There was another one in 2020 and that is the one I referred to.

Pangolin 108 posts

Keep an eye on your credit card bills!!

Hotel giant Marriott confirms yet another data breach

<iframe class=”wp-embedded-content” sandbox=”allow-scripts” security=”restricted” style=”position: absolute; clip: rect(1px, 1px, 1px, 1px);” title=”“Hotel giant Marriott confirms yet another data breach” — TechCrunch” src=”https://techcrunch.com/2022/07/06/marriott-breach-again/embed/#?secret=DMgntkyV27#?secret=gz9b32zpJ5&#8243; data-secret=”gz9b32zpJ5″ width=”500″ height=”282″ frameborder=”0″ marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no”></iframe>

Hotel group Marriott International has confirmed another data breach, with hackers claiming to have stolen 20 gigabytes of sensitive data, including guests’ credit card information.

The incident, first reported by Databreaches.net, is said to have happened in June when an unnamed hacking group claimed they used social engineering to trick an employee at a Marriott hotel in Maryland into giving them access to their computer.

It’s a systems breach at a single property. Nothing like the scale of previous data leaks (which were systemwide)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.