Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Maximise Amex referrals

• rr2005 7 posts

Hi, Player A has Amex Gold and Player B has Amex Platinum. I’m wondering what’s the best way to maximise Amex referrals?

I’ve just learnt that both players could refer each other for EVERY Amex card and each get the referral bonus points each time. Is this correct? Or is it limited to one referral per Amex account (not card)?

If so, what is the best approach to take when working through referrals?

Thanks!

Guernsey Globetrotter 583 posts

The first step is to follow the guide here on how to maximise referral / sign-up bonuses:
    https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/07/02/earn-186875-avios-from-american-express/

However, if you’ve done that already, or missed out by not applying for the right cards and don’t want to wait 2 years to reset the clock, then you are right that additional referrals can be a good way of earning more Amex MRs.

There are a few limitations. There is a cap on how many cards you can hold at once (3 or 4 I think, others with recent experience can no doubt confirm). There is an annual cap of 90,000 MRs (or Avios for the BA cards) on the referral bonus you earn from each card.

Obviously, start using whatever card you have with the biggest refer a friend bonus until you have used up the annual cap. Remember that the referee can chose any card they like, irrespective of which card you referred them from. For example, my Platinum Business card has an 18,000 point referral bonus at present and even if Mrs Trotter chooses the free Amex Rewards credit card in the referral process I still receive those points.

mark2 126 posts

Remember that the 90,000 MR points from referrals will reset on 31th December.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.