Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Maximising Avios – couple with BAPP

• frazer_b 1 post

Hi all

Relative noob here wishing I had done my homework before embarking on our avios venture. Currently I have the BAPP card. Have had it a month and already triggered the 25k Avios bonus and the companion voucher (got a few projects on the go which have allowed me to rack up good spend). This trend will continue for the next 6-months so looking to capitalise on that spend via Amex/Avios.

Have since read the HFP article which sets out the strategy for maximum Avios for a couple – starting with the Nectar card (doh!) – just wondered if someone could advise me what would be the next best order of play having already started with a BAPP for Player A?

Ultimate aim is to generate enough Avios to pay for / substantially cover a flight somewhere exotic in business / first. I haven’t yet done my reading up on how best to deploy them, but When we get there we’ll be flexible on dates / destination etc. which I imagine should help.

Many thanks in advance for your wisdom! Frazer

Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

Hi @frazer_b and welcome to the points game!

You can still basically follow the strategy in Rob’s article for a couple:

https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/07/02/earn-186875-avios-from-american-express/

You’ve just missed out on the first stage bonus (on Nectar card) for yourself but that’s not a big issue. Player 2 can still benefit from the Nectar, BAPP and Plat sign-up bonuses (SUBs) and you will get referrals on all of these, just at the level of your BAPP initially. As you have hit all your BAPP targets you should have them refer you for the Plat card ASAP once they have their first card and then you can continue working toward a new SUB. You will also earn a higher referral bonus on all their other cards if you do it from your Plat.

If you do this cycle then you should accrue plenty Avios for your exotic J-class or higher redemption plan – good luck and don’t forget to tell us all how you get on 🙂

Reney 767 posts

A few things to add to the strategy

– time your applications with a higher bonus offer if possible
    – add Barclays Avios card to your strategy
    – build in asking for a retention bonus
    – referring from Plat has higher referral offers – 12k normally sometimes goes to 24k if there are offers.

NorthernLass 7,567 posts

Just to add my 2 penn’orth – fly on off peak dates if possible, on award bookings, you will save 000’s of avios. E.g., LHR-NYC return in F would be 160k avios on peak dates, but only 136k off-peak. So with the companion voucher you’d be looking at 136k avios for 2 people (also worth looking into how you can avoid BA’s hefty surcharges by not starting in London).

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.