Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Maximising Avios with cards and companion voucher advice

• crunch1etwix 14 posts

Hi everyone, fairly new to Avios points collecting so just looking for a bit of advice.

I’ve had a BA AmEx for over a year or so and qualified for a companion voucher (applied before the offer changed). I’ve since read that the the Premium Plus is the card to have due to better Avios/pound ratio and better (now) companion voucher offer.

On the HfP site it states: Whilst an Economy 2-4-1 voucher will, I am sure, be useful to some people, people who know where the real value is – which is hopefully you, if you’re reading this – will know that premium cabin redemptions are the way to go.

Does this mean I should leave the economy voucher I have, and apply for the Premium Plus card and then save my Avios for a premium cabin redemption?

I was also thinking about signing up for the Barclays plus card to take advantage of the sign up offer there.

Any advice much appreciated!

NorthernLass 7,571 posts

It very much depends on individual circumstances. You need to read the numerous articles (on here and elsewhere) about how to maximise your use of the BA 241 vouchers and decide which is best for you.

I don’t see that you need to abandon your economy voucher, though, you could still get good value from it on a RFS booking.

jumpfrog 23 posts

The BAPP 2-4-1 vouchers are still worth it IMO. We just booked LHR-BKK return for next Jan/Feb for 150,000 avios + £1300. Cash price would be between £5-6K. The surcharges have since gone up a bit. I also noticed there is also significantly increased availability in business with the new vouchers.

NorthernLass 7,571 posts

Not remotely representative, according to the people on here who maintain that it only has value if you were prepared to pay cash for something, but the cash cost of our flights to BOS next week (F out, J back) is now £23k. Cost to me with a 241 was 118,000 avios plus surcharges (whatever they were 11 months ago) If I knock off £1500 for “taxes” and the BAPP fee, can I claim to have got £18 per avios? 🤣

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.