Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club MCOL for late tier point award resulting in lower status for upcoming flight?

• Karl 47 posts

This may be more of a Flyer Talk topic but wondering if anyone here had any such experience of my predicament.
    I’ve been waiting 47 days for the double points TPs to arrive following a BA Holiday. T+Cs at time of booking stated 28 days. Chased with an email but no response yet.
    I’ll be taking a BA economy flight in two weeks time. The late-arriving TPs would take me into silver status. I’m planning on sending another email to BA requesting that the status gets updated for that trip otherwise I’ll be billing them for equivalent benefits – seat selection, luggage, a breakfast and a few bevvies in the terminal bar, etc.
    Has anyone had any experience of them coughing up for such demands?
    Otherwise an MCOL could be in order as I’m sure the beak would agree that BA have broken the terms of the original contract by not proving silver status and it’s accompanying benefits within 28 days of the original holiday.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,195 posts

I mean … I suppose you have a fair case, as long as what you buy in the terminal is equivalent.

It would be ‘cleaner’ for MCOL to pay for two passes to the Plaza Premium lounge because its easier for the MCOL abritrator to see that you are comparing like with like. If they’ve never been in an airport lounge they may struggle to see that you are comparing equally.

Richie 979 posts

Try and call them at 8am on the dot.
    If you are time rich you could have a read of the Civil Procedure Rules for the small claims track.

Karl 47 posts

Looking back at the original post, the possibility of taking someone to court over a bacon sandwich, a couple of glasses of wine and whereabouts I sit on a plane, is a classic first world problem! I was slightly aggreieved with BA over something else at the time of writing.
    As Richie suggested I’ll give them a call at 8am and see what happens…..

Lady London 2,020 posts

Please keep us updated on this.
    I’d do what Richie says but it might not succeed – as you’d be asking for privileges on a flight but the earning needs Holidays part of BA to credit your points.

I’d call and email BA Holidays asking for tier points to be credited immediately. Very nicely point out that you’d counted on the tier points to be credited when the promotion stated and that you are trying not to have to pay for (give each item and its cost separately but *DO NOT* )give a total) for the flight you’d booked on [date] taking into account when your tier points from the holiday promotion would be credited. Mention you’d chosen your travel date so that credit of those tier points would save you those costs. Request urgent credit so as to save you these costs. Don’t say any more at this stage in email or on phone. With a bit of luck based on other reports here the tier points will be credited in a few days (whatever they say when you call).

I have a nasty feeling somewhere in Exec Club or Holiday ts and cs or promo ts and cs there will be something that says they are not liable in case of lateness. This may or may not stick at MCOL but it’s the sort of thing I’d expect they’ve stated somewhere. So try again the nice way.

If not then after spending out and taking the flight you’d ask them for the costs (attach the email from above and provide date and time and ideally who you spoke to, give them 2 weeks or get an outright refusal, send a Letter Before Action giving them say 21 days, and CEDR or MCOL. I am not sure I would advise counting on this succeeding though.

Cranzle 271 posts

The delay in awarding these double tier points is, frankly, unacceptable. It can take 60-90 days and then they back date it, so you’re potentially losing 90 days of status. It’s ridiculous.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.