Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Other frequent flyer schemes Miles and More expiry date – can I book a flight for after?

• 76damo 4 posts

I have some Miles and More points expiring in March 2022, unfortunately as a result of the Miles and More credit cards being removed. The M&M website allows me to book flights for August 2022 using these miles. Does anyone know if booking a flight for a date after the miles expiry protects these miles, or will they still expire in March next year and result in cancelling my August booking?

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Lady London 2,051 posts

If you book ahead you’re ok. The problem arises, I think, if you later needed to cancel. I am certain the miles would then be lost.

If you needed to change date you should ask them now, ahead.

For instance with BA On Business bookings, if you book on the last day of validity of your points, you can still change date not route, for up to a year even though the points you used to book have long expired. But I would be surprised if Lufthansa would be that generous. Although I’d like to know the answer!

One interesting thing to do with LH miles used to be to book a Europewn flight with a connection – those didn’t cost any more and gave a lot of flexibility. These days you might even get a cancellation on one of the flightd whiich would give you the same rerouting rights as a cash ticket even if the miles to book it have expired.

BogginsDad 16 posts

Me too!

Wondering what best use of 27,500 miles might be.

Hmmm

NotFlyingAsMuchAsIUsedTo 5 posts

Me three! It’s a shame that they didn’t offer to protect the miles for a longer period of time after they closed the Miles & More Global Traveller Account Cards earlier in the year, I only had mine for about a year!

Head for Points did run this article last year: –

How to use small orphan amounts of frequent flyer miles and hotel points – Part 2

It’s pretty underwhelming to find yourself in this position, but I suppose that’s the life of juggling mileage accounts!

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    76damo 4 posts

Thanks Lady London,

I’ll book an August flight and potentially build in a connection as you suggest, and will follow up with calling them to get the most up to date conditions on these expiring miles in this situation.

John 1,000 posts

I have some miles that were supposed to expire at the end of 2021, but they’re still showing in my balance.

Where can I see information about when these miles were earned or when they are meant to expire in my account? My account only shows transactions from my Swiss flights in 2020 and nothing else (but maybe I didn’t earn anything for a while). I only have an email from a few weeks ago saying some miles were about to expire.

How can I get them to expire? I want this to happen so I can use Swapi.

elguiri 215 posts

I have some miles that were supposed to expire at the end of 2021, but they’re still showing in my balance.

Where can I see information about when these miles were earned or when they are meant to expire in my account? My account only shows transactions from my Swiss flights in 2020 and nothing else (but maybe I didn’t earn anything for a while). I only have an email from a few weeks ago saying some miles were about to expire.

How can I get them to expire? I want this to happen so I can use Swapi.

Log into your miles and more app and click on the Account icon. Under your Award Miles number there is (now) an (i)nformation button for “Mileage Expiration”, click on that and a pop up appears telling you when miles are expiring (31st March for most of mine, and 30th June for the remaining 15).

elguiri 215 posts

I have over 100k M&M to try and use up in the next 3 months, what’s the best use of them (3 pax)? Was originally planning for US-Colombia on United (after avios-ing out from London), but not sure we’ll be going that way with current circumstances.

da350 14 posts

I received an email on 29th November saying they would extend expiry to 30th June 2022, however I’ve still not had the expiry protection mile posted to do this.
    Anyone else in the same situation?

elguiri 215 posts

I received an email on 29th November saying they would extend expiry to 30th June 2022, however I’ve still not had the expiry protection mile posted to do this.

Thanks for the heads-up, I have checked my emails on 29th Nov and also got exactly the same message. Gives me a bit longer to plan something with the 100k I built up with the CC.

EDB99 32 posts

There exists a M&M rule which should offer some protection in the OP’s case. However, on the German VFT forums, there are posters claiming that M&M stopped honoring their own program rule.

So, so suppose you book a flex award. At a future date (but before the date of the award flight), you cancel, paying the cancellation fee. However, at that future date, the miles used to book the award would have expired had they remained unredeemed. M&M used to refund you those technically expired miles nevertheless. However, those miles would then expire at the end of the quarter in which they were re-credited to your account.

Again, several users on VFT posted recent experiences to the contrary. Miles do not get re-credited as M&M claims they have expired.

I do not know how far people have tried to push M&M as they seem to disobey their own rules. But the failure to recredit is a very recent development, so people likely did protest, but haven’t received an answer/a resolution just yet.

In any case, booking flex awards for a far-out date and cancelling and rebooking at the time you really want to use an award used to be the principal procedure to extend miles validity both on VFT as well as on FT… Of course, frequent-flyer status and the credit card also protect versus miles expiration.

Go197 78 posts

Thanks for the heads-up, I have checked my emails on 29th Nov and also got exactly the same message. Gives me a bit longer to plan something with the 100k I built up with the CC.

I had the same email. So far no expiry protection mile posted.

My account shows 6k miles due to expire 30th June 2022 but also shows 55k expiring 31st March 2022, which creates a small bit of doubt.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.