Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Milton Keynes hotel recommendation?!

• Travel Strong 258 posts

I’ve scoured TripAdvisor and it really seems like the only top rated properties are Premier Inn’s and HIX type chain hotels. I’m not adverse to a premier inn, but would like to book something more unique.

I feel like there *must* be something a bit more special in the MK area. Any recommendations gratefully received!

Ducky 20 posts

Not much unique in MK but we rather liked the Moxy – the lobby area design references the hotel’s proximity to Silverstone (F1) and has more personality than you will find in some other chains.

Tocsin 61 posts

I would not recommend the DoubleTree – it is built in to the stadium, so may be interesting for matches, but otherwise…

Most of the lifts were inoperative
    Long walk to rooms
    Public areas full of parties
    Room was cold – AirCon hacks inoperative – the duvet was cosy 🙂
    Breakfast was a zoo – long queues and tables cleared while you wait by them (the queue was even longer when I left)

To be honest, the only good thing going was the friendly staff, who were working their socks off.

It was a convenient location for me, but I’ll look further out next time!

SamG 1,644 posts

I stayed at the Premier Inn at Willen Lake recently , brand new, decent breakfast in the Brewers Fayre and a nice walk around the lake after . So wouldn’t rule it out, especially if driving

If you’re interested in a spa then Horwood House has recently renovated theirs and it’s very nice, restaurant is good, not sure what their room reno situation is though

ANNE 27 posts

Doubletree used to be decent but is looking tired now and I agree with the points Tocsin made above, although breakfast has been ok recently for me (Nov and Dec 2022)

Not stayed at the Moxy but looks smart and still pretty new. HIX is at Willen Lake and was ok a few years back but definitely nothing special. I used to like the HI which is in the town (city?!) centre but it’s been a good few years since I stayed there. Rooms were much better than the HIX back then and breakfast used to be good, plus close proximity to the centre was good for evening food options.

If you’re happy to be a few miles away though what about the new HGI at Silverstone? There were a few teething problems when we stayed there in late Nov – no room charging for food and the cooked to order breakfast wasn’t great. But the rooms were good, we had a track view with balcony which I could only dream of during the Grand Prix!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.