Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards Monese account locked, and complaint ignored

• kai 77 posts

My Monese account was locked in December. I contacted their customer service by email and was told the compliance team will get in touch, however I’m yet to hear anything so far.

I sent another email mentioning it’s a formal complaint about the closure of my account and me unable to access my funds. The email got ignored – can I still bring the case to FOS after 8 weeks or is there anything else I should try?

Andrew. 482 posts

Find the address of the business or home addresses of the Directors and start banging on doors.

Rui N. 831 posts

You’re luckier than me… I tried to open an account with them on Black Friday (ie November), and the app tells me they are “checking my details” since then. I’ve contacted them via the app, via email, and via Twitter and nobody ever responded.
    Next step is to ask them to remove all the data they have from me as per GDPR, but I haven’t bothered yet.

secretsquirrel 29 posts

I had a Monese account for all of four weeks then out of the blue it was locked.
    Took me three weeks to get £500 back from them after lots of KYC info sent in.
    I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    kai 77 posts

I had a Monese account for all of four weeks then out of the blue it was locked.
    Took me three weeks to get £500 back from them after lots of KYC info sent in.
    I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone.

Agreed they have a bad reputation, the only reason I (and many others) use it is for the gift card discounts.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

I had to sue them to get my money back. Useless customer service, they don’t seem equipped to deal with out-of-the-ordinary complaints, or indeed have a thorough procedure for following up on account closures.

Harrier25 852 posts

…and people complain about Revolut. They’re nothing when reading about this shambles. What actually is the role of the FCA? A total disgrace!

CarpalTravel 363 posts

{Uninstalls unused Monese app}

WillPS 194 posts

My account has been locked since last Easter, when I tried to log in from a new phone. Think there’s less than a tenner in there but still. My last complaint asked that they either restore access or close the account, not heard anything back though.

ryaneberry 50 posts

Took me around a year to recover my £400+ balance that they locked for no reason.

Their customer service failed to grasp that I was complaining about the lack of releasing of funds rather than the actual locking. After trying for months, I gave up and complained to FCA, for some reason they were forthcoming after this.

They offered £30 which I refused and pushed them for cost of capital @ 8% as a base, ended up with £150 in the end

Rui N. 831 posts

{Uninstalls unused Monese app}

Same here! The savings on the gift cards is not worth this kind of stuff.
    Just emailed them asking them to cancel opening my account (which has been going on since November…) and to ask them to delete all data that they hold about me.

The Urbanite 118 posts

Monese have closed several of my accounts. They only existed to be topped up daily with Amex and other credit cards and used as soon as they credited.

I used to make sure my account balance was £0.01 during business hours when their trigger happy people were on shift. That’s a proper balance to have upon account closure.

Keeping money in these kind of accounts is not recommended because it’s a bit of a wild west where getting money back after closure is concerned.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.