Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards Mr and Mrs Smith free IHG night cancellation resulting in deposit charge?

• ms 69 posts

I have a stay booked at one of the Mr & Mrs Smith in the UK for this Sunday. I’m unable to go now.

This was booked with IHG free night cert.
    I’ve just been told by the IHG rep, that once canceled, the hotel will charge 50% of the deposit to the card?

There’s nothing in the cancellation policy about this?

Cancellation Policy
    Free Night bookings are non-refundable if cancelled within 30 days of arrival. Free Night bookings cancelled more than 30 days in advance will be refunded the IHG Rewards Vouchers redeemed at the time of booking.

YC 222 posts

Is that 50% but you get your free night back? An option is that you can add a second guest to your booking if you wanted to gift/sell the night to a friend/relative. Saves you the 50% charge

ms 69 posts

So I’d also lose the free night!

YC 222 posts

I think losing the free night is fair (based on T&Cs) but 50% on top feels very harsh. As mentioned earlier, I would try to sell/gift the night to someone – you may get some takers from this site (especially if you had used the free night optimally…)

ms 69 posts

So the rep confirmed with the hotel the charge (50% of the deposit), nothing in the T&C about this.
    Technically I should be able to disregard this and once the fee hits the card, dispute it with the card issuer.

Not sure how @Rob feels about advertising this in the forum.

Also, I’ve heard many conflicting reports about gifting stay to someone else.
    https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/2048284-help-needed-using-chase-free-nights-certs-someone-else.html
    According to FT, it looks ok.

JDB 4,341 posts

So the rep confirmed with the hotel the charge (50% of the deposit), nothing in the T&C about this.
    Technically I should be able to disregard this and once the fee hits the card, dispute it with the card issuer.

Not sure how @Rob feels about advertising this in the forum.

Also, I’ve heard many conflicting reports about gifting stay to someone else.
    https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/2048284-help-needed-using-chase-free-nights-certs-someone-else.html
    According to FT, it looks ok.

You are subject to the hotel’s booking policies as well as the voucher terms. What did those policies state, as if you were to dispute with the card company, that’s what they will look at.

ms 69 posts

Cancellation Policy: Free Night bookings are non-refundable if cancelled within 30 days of arrival. Free Night bookings cancelled more than 30 days in advance will be refunded the IHG Rewards Vouchers redeemed at the time of booking.

No other terms are listed. I think it might be a glitch that these additional policies didn’t transfer over.

Graham-Walsh 61 posts

I lost my voucher due their error and they wouldn’t refund the voucher. I eventually got 70k points out of them.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.