Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Membership Rewards point deficit

• duggie1982 261 posts

If i get the bonus offer spend for spending £3000 in 3 month and i get a refund for something. If i have already transferred the MR points will my account go into deficit of the full bonus or just the say 100 MR points for the £100 that got me over the line?

YC 222 posts

Full bonus if the refund takes you below the £3k in first 3 months

duggie1982 261 posts

Cheers, i take it i wont be able to cancel card if that bonus is owed back do you think?

Rui N. 828 posts

Yes, you can cancel with negative MR.

points_worrier 294 posts

I am in the case where I bought 3 flight tickets at c. £1k each when I got the card 6 months ago. It is now looking like one of these will be refunded following cancellation. I havent really spent anything else on the card.
    Will this remove SUB? If so, could I quickly spend £1k to get it back (even though it is well beyond the 3 month original period)?
    Or will it now just remove 1000 MR points?

lordy 51 posts

Will the airline allow you to take a voucher? Maybe the best idea.

NorthernLass 7,463 posts

I am in the case where I bought 3 flight tickets at c. £1k each when I got the card 6 months ago. It is now looking like one of these will be refunded following cancellation. I havent really spent anything else on the card.
    Will this remove SUB? If so, could I quickly spend £1k to get it back (even though it is well beyond the 3 month original period)?
    Or will it now just remove 1000 MR points?

Could you not just move your points before the refund hits? Once you’re past the 3 month period I don’t think you can make up the spend again.

points_worrier 294 posts

Could you not just move your points before the refund hits? Once you’re past the 3 month period I don’t think you can make up the spend again.

I could (indeed I have). But I dont want to annoy amex, and I’m not going to be spending £30k to make it up!

Carlos 758 posts

Yes, you can cancel with negative MR.

Will they let you open another amex?

Rui N. 828 posts

Yes.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.