Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Navigating LHR to central London with bike box – taxi vs tube advice pls?

• ExpatInBerlin 186 posts

Landing at LHR from BER late on Wednesday night with my OH, 1 bike box, 4 hold bags, 2 cabin bags and 2 rucksacks between us (yes we are mad and we are never moving abroad and back again!) Looking for the best way to get to our temporary accomm in Islington with all of the stuff. The bike box is the main issue, it’s 160 x 80 x 22 and heavy. Please can anyone who has travelled with a bike box before advise if it can fit in any type of London taxi (Uber XL/black cab etc) or if our only option is for one of us to HEX/tube with it? We can get separate cabs if necessary to split up the luggage, we just want to establish the easiest means of getting to our destination as we don’t land till 22:00. Didn’t have this problem with moving out here as the bike was shipped!

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,084 posts

Re the tube is check the route from LHR as not all stations have step free access from platform to street level

There is a map on the TFL website and the journey planer allows you to select how accessible you need the route to be.

Would be easier if the bike box was on wheels to make it more manoeuvreable.

I’d have suggested leaving it at the excess baggage place (and going back for it the next day) but I think that closes at 10pm.

Rather than a black cab have you thought of a pee booked mini bus type vehicle which would have the room?

ExpatInBerlin 186 posts

^thanks for this, just checked thr TfL accessibility route and it looks horrendous so that option is looking far less favourable. Hadn’t thought along the mini bus route but that’s a great idea thanks and would mean we can actually get both of us and all the stuff straight to the door. If anyone has used a similar type service from LHR and would recommend it please let me know!

Richie 992 posts

I think Addison Lee have some mini buses.

anuj 98 posts

Try anyvan, I used them to send bulky items to eBay customers and it seems to work well, no idea if it’s cheap for a bike box but worth a try.

ExpatInBerlin 186 posts

Asked around friends in the area for recs and have just booked with this local firm https://samscars.co.uk/ as they have an 8 seater which can take loads of luggage, including the bike box. Called them to discuss the requirements/measurements of everything and they were happy, so fingers crossed all will go smoothly on Wednesday!

redlilly 110 posts

I live in Islington. Best way is to get the Elizabeth Line to either Farringdon or Moorgate (rear end of the train at Heathrow for Moorgate). I would say Moorgate this is the simplest/easiest as more step free options, then black cab separately from your OH, 1 with the bike box, from there.

Assuming you’re heathrow t5?! Or else, call a mini cab. Essex Road cabs are extremely reliable, and have got me out of all sorts of trouble at airports with weighty luggage and late flights, and may be able to help.

redlilly 110 posts

Also, there are courier companies at Heathrow that can ship your baggage separately to your hotel/office/apartment etc., but this might not work given arrival time.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.