Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Capital on Tap New gift card options – Hotelgift UK, Harvey Nics and Tesco

• Kowalski 105 posts

Hey all,

Just noticed there’s some new gift card options on the rewards page for Capital on Tap. The Hotelgift UK card looks interesting. Can be used at over half a million hotels worldwide in theory. But I’m wondering if the giftcard issued via CoT can only be used in the UK?

Does anyone have any experience using this hotelgift card? Will elite benefits from Hilton/Marriott/IHG etc. be lost if booking with the card?

Capital on Tap 4 posts

Hi there,

We recently introduced Hotelgift UK, Harvey Nichols and Tesco due to multiple requests from our customers.

With HotelGift UK; this can only be used within the UK.

TGLoyalty 494 posts

Taking cash equivalent from a card aimed at businesses … hope everyone’s keeping their tax affairs in order … taxable income.

Kowalski 105 posts

I see Selfridges and hotels.com have been added now as well!

davefl 1,218 posts

I took hotelgift UK cards a few years back cashing out an award from work. Nightmare to use, status not recognised at the usual chains, often higher rates than elsewhere. Ended up throwing 8 quid in the bin that I couldn’t use.

YMMV

Skywalker 693 posts

Taking cash equivalent from a card aimed at businesses … hope everyone’s keeping their tax affairs in order … taxable income.

I don’t know the ins and outs of this but can people use the said vouchers for business?

No Longer Entitled 117 posts

I don’t know the ins and outs of this but can people use the said vouchers for business?

Yes. The point is the Cashback (in whatever form) belongs to the company not the individual. So it should be the company spending it for a business purpose.

Avios are the exception because HMRC does not apply a value to them. At present.

memesweeper 1,244 posts

@No Longer Entitled is correct — the benefits of this card belong to the company. If they are used for personal gain they are taxable. If they are used for company purposes no individual tax liability arises. Avois are not taxable even if used personally.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.