Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Marriott Bonvoy New Marriott Bonvoy Amex Card (US) gives Platinum – maybe UK changes ahead also?

• Pangolin 106 posts

Has anyone heard the news about the changes to the US Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant card?

There’s an article on the front page of One Mile At A Time about it.

The new version of the card will offer Platinum status and 25 elite night credits (formerly it was Gold and 15 night credits).

This seems like a negative development for those of us with Platinum (or higher) status, as it means that we’ll now face the same situation as with Hilton, where tons of Yanks with the Aspire card can flood the lounges.

I wonder if maybe a new version of the card might come to the UK offering similar benefits (but likely higher annual fee also). I’m a couple of years away from Lifetime Platinum in any case, so if it was down to me I’d prefer not to have the status being devalued in this way.

The way things are going, IHG might end up the only chain whose lounges can’t be accessed just by having a certain credit card.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Looks like hotels are being hit by reducing corporate travel, just like airlines. Less elites and less spending from them?
    If they bundle a free night, I’d be happy to pay higher fee. But highly unlikely to come to uk market.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Suspect it’s also a way to reduce bookings through OTAs. Why waste 20% of revenue on commissions if you can retain more customers’ loyalty through credit cards? If I hold the Hilton Aspire card, I won’t be booking through OTAs.

WaynedP 258 posts

The new version of the card will offer Platinum status and 25 elite night credits (formerly it was Gold and 15 night credits).

How does the US$ annual fee compare with the UK £75 one ?

Guernsey Globetrotter 584 posts

From the OMAAT review: “Let’s start with the bad news. The annual fee on the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card is increasing from $450 to $650”.

Pangolin 106 posts

The US Brilliant card was always more expensive than the UK version but had extra bennies and a massive signup bonus

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,195 posts

Do you really think there is a big market to pay $650 to get Platinum? Not convinced.

Remember that you DON’T get the milestone rewards, eg the suite night upgrades, if you are comped the status.

Mun33b 4 posts

I have both Hilton Aspire and Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant cards. I think the benefits of both cards off set the fee only if you travel regularly (at least 2-3 a year).

The Bonvoy card gives you $300 credit ($25 per month) and Priority pass. I am lucky to hold top tier diamond in hilton and platinum in Marriott just for paying an annual fee.

I don’t think Marriott will ever offer platinum status to Amex customers outside the US.

The Amex cards in UK have always been garbage in comparison to US cards. I can imagine a lot of non card holders being dissatisfied with Marriott giving platinum status for a fee.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.