Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice New York – taxi app recommendations?

• phigham 5 posts

It’s now but two weeks until we head to NYC for the first time in six years. Does anyone have a recommendation for the best taxi app to use for the Manhattan / Brooklyn boroughs? I seem to recall using Lyft rather than Uber when we last visited, but when I did an internet search recently there seemed to be several new players, and any attempt to get a decent compare and contrast review got mired in review aggregation sites.

Thanks in advance for any tips (including “just use yellow cabs” if that’s practical experience).

Paul

Richard Peters 170 posts

we used Uber last month around town: fixed fees and traffic a nightmare so no meter worries

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,098 posts

The yellow cabs are now in on the app game so they’ll be the new players you’ll have heard of. I generally flit between Uber and Lyft with Lyft generally cheaper and the added bonus of some paltry Hilton points with every journey. Last week I did only use them for airport runs and late night downtown to midtown trips. Otherwise I used the subway – which is grim indeed but cheap and quick.

executiveclubber 274 posts

Lyft always seems cheapest, if your travelling partner could use your referral code you’ll save on the first ride. Get Citymapper to plan journeys.

Subway is always cheapest and usually fastest but it’s not like the London tube – very grim indeed.

Salaz 1 post

On arrival we used the official taxi line. In the city we used the Curb app to “order” taxi’s. It worked just like Uber or Lyft..

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.