Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards Non UK Debit card help when using in UK online

• sm 179 posts

Good morning. I have a Hong Kong issued /registered debit card that I’m trying to use in UK online but is there a workaround for what to enter as postcode? I’ve tried just zeros and even using my Uk postcode. Any workaround ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks.

SamG 1,644 posts

Does it have visa / Mastercard logo on and have you enabled it for online & overseas transactions?

If so then either you need to change the billing address to Hong Kong (if the web page allows) or try it with your UK postcode (and hope they aren’t doing address verification, a lot of websites don’t these days)

The other issue might be that it doesn’t offer 3D secure functionality and the website isn’t allowing cards that do not

If this is something you’d be doing often you’d be better off getting something like a Wise debit card and transferring the HKD into GBP and using that instead

sm 179 posts

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes it has a Visa logo on it.

I can add it to my Apple wallet but sadly unable to use online.

I was hoping to use it to pay off AMEX / other card bills.

John 1,000 posts

Only UK debit cards are accepted to pay off UK credit cards, except for Creation which takes anything. Also some HK card issuers block these transactions.

Which HK bank is it?

SamG 1,644 posts

Ah yes, that’d be why. It should work for buying things etc

sm 179 posts

Only UK debit cards are accepted to pay off UK credit cards, except for Creation which takes anything. Also some HK card issuers block these transactions.

Which HK bank is it?

It’s ZA bank

Thanks for your replies.

andiron 66 posts

Can you Curve it?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.