Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Hilton Honors Northern Hiltons recommended?

• AlanC 27 posts

I stay in the Scottish borders and take my elderly dad away a night a week for a treat. (Mideeek)
    Looking for a recommendation either near the East Coast Railway or drive able. Done Gateshead, Deansgate, Liverpool recently. Normally a hotel with an Exec lounge but that’s North ones ticked off.
    Thanks
    AlanC

RussellH 154 posts

I stay in the Scottish borders and take my elderly dad away a night a week for a treat. (Mideeek)
    Looking for a recommendation either near the East Coast Railway or drive able. Done Gateshead, Deansgate, Liverpool recently. Normally a hotel with an Exec lounge but that’s North ones ticked off.
    Thanks
    AlanC

Presumably you have already done the obvious ones to the north of the Borders?

Thinking of Dunblane and North Queensferry – both DT I think. Cannot comment on lounges as I have never been qualified…

AlanC 27 posts

Dunblane stayed many years ago. Good idea. DT quuensferry too. Only lounge hotel not been at is the TECA in Aberdeen.

BJ 657 posts

If you are happy to stretch tge train a little further then it’s a nice ride up to Aberdeen. Aberdeen TECA is full service including a lounge. Out near the airport so need to decide on train to Dyce and taxi or get off in city and take bus or taxi. They’re not great on upgrades though, one category only IME unless things have changed of late.

NorthernLass 7,575 posts

I really liked the Harrogate DT, it had a very appealing feeling of faded Victorian splendour – though the public areas are actually beautiful, much nicer than the pictures or reviews suggest. We got one of the rooms upgraded to a deluxe with a balcony and that was lovely as well – and huge, more like a junior suite really. It was a silly price the weekend we stayed but a bargain on points. Breakfast was excellent.

chrism20 89 posts

The Sunderland Garden Inn is quite nice and the Stockton Hampton isn’t too bad either.

The Savage Squirrel 570 posts

I’m assuming Edinburgh is obvious London is stretching the definition of “East Coast railway” moore than a bit…. 😀

How mobile is your dad – i.e. is the focus the hotel or the location?

Assuming he is mobile and you are looking for pleasant towns:
    York has an aging Hilton and DT but they’re very close to, er, everything; the brand new Hampton Piccadilly may be better.
    Harrogate DT (the old Majestic) is, as above, refurbed very well, although service is mixed.
    DT Chester is no further than Liverpool although not on East Coast
    DT Lincoln, even though it’s on the soulless hotel strip on the waterfront is pleasant enough, and Lincoln is great.

Oddities:
    DT Forest Pines only if your dad likes golf.
    Doncaster Racecourse only if your dad likes gee-gees.
    HGI Old Trafford only if your dad likes cricket.
    HGI Snowdonia only if your dad likes surfing (yes I’m being silly now 😀 ; he may like driving round Snowdonia though)

NorthernLass 7,575 posts

I stayed at the Hampton Piccadilly this past weekend; it was more functional than a treat, though it did have a rather nice separate “library” section of the breakfast room for gold and diamond members with better seating. This was especially pleasant as the buffet area itself was a bit of a zoo due to 2 conferences being held on Monday. There’s also a small car park in the basement, £24 pn night but very convenient.

NorthernLass 7,575 posts

Late night wobble – it was the DT, not the Hampton!

Go197 78 posts

I really liked the Harrogate DT, it had a very appealing feeling of faded Victorian splendour

When someone mentions the Harrogate DT, I will bring out my one fact:

“The Majestic, as it was then called, was hit by a German bomb during the second world war. The bomb caused considerable damage, but didn’t explode and was removed from the hotel on a luggage trolley.”

It is nice for a short stay, close to the best of Harrogate, and breakfast is indeed excellent.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    yorkshireRich 186 posts

Maybe abit ott but what about Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh. I remember staying there during covid, when we had a generous room upgrade and it was cheap. I’m guessing it won’t be as cheap anymore.

Paul B 224 posts

It’s showing it’s age certainly however I would recommend the DT Dunblane, great building, fairly reasonable rates, and a good location in Dunblane. Diamond benenfits are minimal however you can overlook.

RonnieB 288 posts

DT Westerwood near Cumbernauld is in a nice setting with Spa and golf course. Only accessible by car

Middster 8 posts

We really enjoyed staying in Dundee. The HbH was really nice with on site (limited) parking. Super friendly staff and pretty good value.

Abdul 69 posts

Dunblane is in a sorry state. It’s OK if your expectations are low and you get a good rate.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.