Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice NYC hotel recommendations

• QwertyKnowsBest 301 posts

Can anyone help with recommendations for a 4 night couples NY trip? It’s been a while since visited.

Of course prices are crazy at the moment, but struggling to justify £2K for 4 nights in an Hilton Motto. Prefer chain and new (ish) if possible, Luxury not essential but not keen on dated rooms in need of refurb. Don’t mind being a little out of it, provided decent neighbourhood and main attractions withing walking distance. Reading reviews, which I often find not very useful for US hotels (ask for Martha, she is amazing…..), many complain about street noise. Of course difficult to avoid in a busy city but I like my sleep so quiet rooms essential. Amex Plat related status with Hilton & IHG (for what’s its worth in USA).

Thanks and appreciate any suggestions.

Supergers49 225 posts

I stayed in the INNSIDE New York NOMAD in September 2019. Found it to be an excellent location, very smart hotel and reasonably priced (in comparison). You should be able to leverage a 20% discount from your Meliá Gold status that comes with the Plat.

QwertyKnowsBest 301 posts

I stayed in the INNSIDE New York NOMAD in September 2019. Found it to be an excellent location, very smart hotel and reasonably priced (in comparison). You should be able to leverage a 20% discount from your Meliá Gold status that comes with the Plat.

Thank you, looks a good option. Forgot about Melua and Amex status.

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

I seem to remember that the Hilton Millenium UN Plaza was well-soundproofed. Also reasonably priced for NYC and within walking distance of the main sights (about 30 mins to Central Park IIRC). Very nice rooms – as gold we got upgraded to a huge corner room with amazing views over the river. Golds also got lounge use for breakfast and evening snacks/drinks, which also had great views (don’t sit next to the window if you’re nervous about heights!)

ATM there are good deals to be had on points in many hotels due to the crazy cash prices. I’ve just booked a Homewood Suites in neighbouring Connecticut for next August at 35k pn when cash rates are over £200 (so 140k points for 5 nights, as opposed to over £1k).

jj 516 posts

The Beekman is one of the most beautiful hotels I’ve ever visited. It’s a recently refurbished Victorian building near the Brooklyn Bridge. It’s so stylish that both Virgin Atlantic and the New York tourist board use it in some of their ads.

Not especially cheap, but not too bad by NY standards either.

njb 65 posts

I will second The Beekman – just returned from a four night stay with Amex FHR – 4 nights for the price of 3. Upgrade given, breakfast allowance of $30 pp plus $100 credit.
    Be aware there is building work across the small road.
    My daughter lives at the Gehry building on 8 Spruce Street so the location is perfect.
    Dont dismiss downtown/FiDi either – some amazing places to eat and drink. This trip we went to:
    Mezze on the River – loved it
    The Fulton – birthday meal
    Bar Primi using Amex credit
    Grand Banks – schooner on the Hudson
    Williamsburg – Westlight

Walked or got the ferry everywhere!

Tracy 315 posts

No recommendation but rather a disrecommendation, probably not a word but I’m sticking with it 😂. Recently back from 5 days staying at HGI Times Square south. OMG, on the same street as a drug clinic/shelter. I literally had to dodge or step over junkies multiple times a day. On our last day we had to stand still as a junkie “danced” towards us with a needle in his outstretched arm, I kid you not… The hotel in room aircon sounded like a jumbo jet was landing in the room and the bathroom fan had no off switch and was loud 24/7. The diamond benefit was $10 each which had to spent in the hotel shop as no restaurant or bar. $4 for a yoghurt & $4 for a kind bar was about it…

jj 516 posts

@Tracey, welcome to New York. On my last short visit to the city I witnessed more open drug use, and more people clearly under the influence of drugs, than I would expect to encounter in a decade at home. The city’s inability to control its drug problem is the main reason why I’m unlikely to return for the forseeable future.

Tracy 315 posts

@jj totally agree. This is my 5th trip to NYC in 8 years and I’ve said this is my last for a while. I don’t know if I just didn’t see it the other times I was there or if covid and/or cost of living has hit hard. We have never stayed this area before either….

Grant 107 posts

+1 for the Beekman. Book via Emyr for the extra benefits

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

And this is the country whose drug policies some people want to adopt here …
    I was last in NYC in 2019 and noticed more homeless people/beggars than I remember in any US city, and not even in one particular area, there seemed to be one on every corner. This was in summer but winter must be grim. We also couldn’t avoid the stink of weed everywhere we went in Boston in March, as well as being really unpleasant you have to wonder how many people are driving around under the influence now it’s so ubiquitous.

can 506 posts

I am optimistic. US is definitely going through a rough patch. But it is a resilient country. I am sure it will fix himself faster than it looks.

Otherwise you are right. It is the most in-egeliterian developed economy in the world. That will keep getting worse.

tom1 63 posts

Just stayed three nights at Indigo downtown in FiDi
    New hotel (2-3 months I think) so everything in good condition.
    Rooms modern as you would expect, usb a+c ports next to bed, tv with chromecast, good bathroom. Effective but quiet air con. Didn’t hear any of my neighbours in the 3 nights I was there.

2-3 minute walk from Wall Street subway, accessible for trains to uptown or to Brooklyn.
    24 hour convenience shops opposite.
    Rooftop bar.
    Walking distance to the Seaport.

Destination fee $30 per night included breakfast (wasn’t expecting so pleasant surprise!) – was a la carte but several good options. Included drinks.

I managed to book in the flash IHG sale for 30,000 points (which I bought for 5 cents each with 100% bonus). Hindsight is great, I know, but as a new hotel I think it’s still pretty good value around 40-45k points per night.

Previously I stayed in TownePlace suites by Marriott near time square – was also almost brand new back in 2020 – and it had small kitchenette with dishwasher and microwave, despite the room being the same size (small). I liked the hotel, again Close to subway, but no idea how it has faired in the last two years. (I remember them having Weber BBQs to use on the rooftop).

In terms of area, I walked all over, and personally love the area around West Village/Greenwich up to meat packing district and Chelsea, which is all modernised, lots of pedestrianised area, and the highline leading to Hudson yards. I wouldn’t want to stay around TS necessarily – you can visit and tick, and move on.

As for New York – I love it, but seems to get dirtier and smellier each time. Two overpowering smells – wee & weed – everywhere you go!

Have fun, and take lots of money. Not cheap.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.