Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express ‘Pasty Shop’ offer not credited

• gldc 7 posts

Hi everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I redeemed the pasty shop spend £10, get £10 back offer at liverpool street. The merchant posted this as “Burgeur King Webridge”, spelt correctly as they are owned by the same company. I checked the list of accepted locations and the list doesnt open – the link is invalid. They also own upper crust next door and that offer went through fine.

Now Amex is arguing with me that the offer is not valid at this location – its taken 3 chats so far including one where they would get back to me but didn’t. Over 2h of my life spent for £10.

The list of valid locations still doesnt work and I have a screen recording as proof. They have told me if this happens I should contact customer service to check in advance. So, through no fault of my own they are now not crediting the offer.

Any suggestions or anyone hand something similar happen? Ive raised a formal complaint as in my eyes this is down to their incompetenc. If the list of locations had worked, I wouldnt have tried this.

Side note: Pasty Company was the worst thing I have EVER eaten. Bland beyond extreme, mushy, urgh. How do people eat these things?

Benilyn 150 posts

Ah I spent £10 at Liverpool St Pasty Shop as well, will post you on how it’s gone.

My advice, take it on the chin, forget the principle, I chased £100 back on a hotel booking and it took a few weeks of chats & calls. I wouldn’t waste my time for £10 as I know it will take ages to resolve.

Benilyn 150 posts

Mine showed up as Burger King as well. Oh well.

I never received call backs, asked like 3-5 times previously for an offer last year fwiw.

Harrier25 849 posts

Amex are now dreadful regarding offers not posting. I have 2x Costa and 2x BP offers that haven’t posted. Although the American Customer Services Adviser agreed that they should’ve posted, I was told to wait for the magical 90 days to pass, as he couldn’t do anything. So frustrating.

I’m completely fed up with Amex and am thinking of parting company with them period in June when my 10,000 bonus MR points are due to post and just use my Virgin Atlantic card and untl they close it, my Hilton Honors Barclaycard.

gldc 7 posts

Honestly, if the food hadn’t been so bad I wouldn’t even mind as much…

Raised a complaint… I’m happy to refer to the ombudsman out of spite as it will cost Amex £750.

Quite surprised they’re arguing over this to be honest as I’ve previously always had good customer service. It’s more the principle than anything.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,195 posts

Rhys also spent £10 as The Pasty Shop in Liverpool Street yesterday …. let’s see how that goes. You can be sure he’ll be chasing his £10 if it doesn’t arrive.

He used Millie’s Cookies the previous week and I think he said that triggered an email at the time.

TGLoyalty 497 posts

It’s actually becoming a theme now!

@Rob
    No one at Amex commented on why the once very reliable system now seems to be broken? Are they planning on fixing it? Is this their new money making scheme?

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    alig4th 322 posts

Rhys also spent £10 as The Pasty Shop in Liverpool Street yesterday …. let’s see how that goes. You can be sure he’ll be chasing his £10 if it doesn’t arrive.

He used Millie’s Cookies the previous week and I think he said that triggered an email at the time.

I know some are saying emails are stopping, but I got an email from my Millie’s and £10 rebate posted a few days later. When I’ve not had an email, I’ve had a problem and had to refer to AMEX reps (and get the dreaded “wait 90 days”… And every time I’ve had to chase after 90 days, without exception!

TGLoyalty 497 posts

I’ve had no emails for months across the whole family. Offers do and don’t post at random. Currently waiting for £150 from 3 Harrods offers for nearly a month.

Lady London 2,020 posts

It sounds like Amex’s “Wait for 90 days” is Amex Customer Service Agent version of “I haven’t got a clue and don”t call back for 90 days” just to get rid of you.

At £600 a year for the Amex Platinum and too many cases where till processing by the retailer the cardholder can’t possibly be aware of or control, muddies tracking, then if Amex wants to keep charging £600 a year then they had better empower their call centres to credit cardholders promptly in these cases.

The time of the level of customer Amex wants for Amex Plat is worth more than the waiting Amex is making them do. Amex is playing a dangerous game as those customers become ready to walk then it only takes one more thing or another almost equivalent card offering and they’re gone

Benilyn 150 posts

@Rhys let us know if you paid on the payment terminal on the left or right side. I paid on the left one, another customer was having issues paying on the one on the right, I wonder if it’s any different.

davidbutcher 25 posts

I spent £10 plus at the Pasty Shop in Euston Station; again it showed as Burger King but I did get an email saying I’d used the Pasty Shop offer and got £10 credit – interestingly, the credit also showed as Burger King.

gldc 7 posts

@davidbutcher – they very kindle sent me a list of all the pasty shop locations that qualify which is every single one at a station except Liverpool Street. Euston and all the other rail stations were on there. That alone makes zero sense to me…. usually with exclusions on things like this it’d be all rail stations but not all except one. Especially not when upper crust next door owned by the same company credited fine. But the point stands that the link in the app is broken and I couldn’t check the list of locations in advance anyway.

@Lady
    London – This is exactly it. I have a Virgin Atlantic card which I will be switching to for day to day spend and I have the capital on tap for business… so if the complaints team mess this up it’s goodbye AMex for me – all the cards.

@benilyn
    Also paid on the one on the left on the 30th.

As a business, surely the hours of time the agents are spending on this is worth much more than the £10 they are categorically refusing to credit with here. Plus, all the fees they’ll lose out on by annoying customers like this. I really hope Amex get some decent competition at some point but I know this is unlikely with the imposed regulations on card processing fees.

[Also my apologies I didn’t see the other Amex offer thread already discussing offers not posting! Perhaps this can be merged into that one.]

ar 7 posts

Used Pasty Shop, Ritazza, and Upper Crust all at Euston on the same weekend (two on outbound of a trip, one on return).

Got emails for all three.

Pasty Shop offer credited (like others, it posted as Burger King, but it still credited fine). Others have not. Wondering how long to wait before chasing the other two…

watesc 30 posts

I used the Millies cookies offer at Victoria Station last Wednesday. Had the email confirmation straight away but in my app the millies offer never went into the “recently redeemed” section and so far I’m yet to have £10 credited

Rhys
    HfP Staff
    189 posts

@Rhys let us know if you paid on the payment terminal on the left or right side. I paid on the left one, another customer was having issues paying on the one on the right, I wonder if it’s any different.

Left, I think.
    Funny though – the transaction isn’t even listed on my recent transactions on Amex!…

Upper Crust worked fine a couple of days before, however (I got the email too).

gldc 7 posts

Just wanted to update this to give you an idea of AMex’s customer service…Made an official complaint. They said I’d have a call within 3 business days. 6 business days later I finally got a reply.

They’ve completely misunderstood the situation and said that I hadn’t applied the offer to my BA Amex and so they are not at fault…they’re right, because the complaint was about my Rewards Amex card not the BA card. So, not their fault… as I wasn’t complaining about that card.

HOWEVER, because Customer Service told me to ‘wait to see if it credited’ instead of saying I hadn’t applied it to my account (which I had…), they will be crediting the £10 from the offer offer plus £30 as a one-off gesture of goodwill. [We’ll see if they actually do this]

They’ve completely misunderstood the situation looking at the wrong card…but the result is better than I expected. Just wish they had understood the complaint and admitted that they were to blame for the actual error but I’ll take the £30 🙂

ee 48 posts

Used Pasty Shop, Ritazza, and Upper Crust all at Euston on the same weekend (two on outbound of a trip, one on return).

Pasty Shop offer credited (like others, it posted as Burger King, but it still credited fine). Others have not. Wondering how long to wait before chasing the other two…

Did the Rittazza credit come through in the end? Has anyone used this at Paddington or Waterloo as an alternative?

Benilyn 150 posts

Left, I think.
    Funny though – the transaction isn’t even listed on my recent transactions on Amex!…

Upper Crust worked fine a couple of days before, however (I got the email too).

My Pasty Shop didn’t post (yet) don’t think it will.

yorkieflyer 259 posts

No Millie’s credit after a week, no email at the time so I guess will have to bribe mrs Yorkieflyer with one of her cookies to ring up about her missing cash back. Really quite annoying as it was at last a useful offer for hard working ordinary families outside the M25

PIL 97 posts

Used Millie’s and Upper crust on Sunday. Both tracked immediately and e-mail sent

ar 7 posts

Did the Rittazza credit come through in the end? Has anyone used this at Paddington or Waterloo as an alternative?

It ultimately did! Took about three weeks between when I used it and when it posted.

Benilyn 150 posts

5.5 months later my £10 cashback posted for a location that was not listed as participating (iirc)

I did not chase them for it

Lady London 2,020 posts

Ah I spent £10 at Liverpool St Pasty Shop as well, will post you on how it’s gone.

My advice, take it on the chin, forget the principle, I chased £100 back on a hotel booking and it took a few weeks of chats & calls. I wouldn’t waste my time for £10 as I know it will take ages to resolve.

Serves you right for eating anything from The Pasty Company. 🙂

Seriously, it’s time someone reported Amex to The Advertising Standards Authority for these games. Amd all the other fake denials they’re making when the customer has no way to know Amex’s map is wrong or if a merchant that takes Amex has added a payment processor Amex decides not to honour the promotion promise due to when the customer has no knowledge or influence over this.

It’s a sad state of affairs when the UK card market is such that Amex can get away with behaving this sleazily and you’re paying them £600 a year for the privilege. Really?

PeteM 714 posts

Seriously, it’s time someone reported Amex to The Advertising Standards Authority for these games.

Given how toothless the ASA is, I don’t think any company is too concerned, apart from the possible mild negative publicity – if the ASA can even be bothered to look at a submission…

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.