Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• mkcol 55 posts

I’ve won a week’s holiday in Oman – any suggestions of places to go & see as we’re definitely not the sort to lie around sunning ourselves.

Also: anything I should be especially aware of given my husband & I are gay?

Richie 987 posts

It’s illegal.

kwho 62 posts

Well, my hubby and I were there couple of months ago. No one batted an eyelid, but we were discreet. No holding hands, no kissing, nothing. Beautiful country, very unusual. Lovely canyons, wadis, sinkholes, rivers. Worth taking a tour. Sea was very clear. You can stay around Muscat. Hotels West of Muscat (IC, W, etc) is a busy place, full of life. Hotels east of Muscat are quiet and what would you expect of Oman. Here you have Al Bustan, Shangri-La, Chedi. Can’t say anything about street/local restaurants food, we ate at the hotel.

The new airport is very modern and quiet. If you’re arriving middle of the night, I would recommend getting the Meet & Greet service to whisk you through immigration and baggage. There can be queues, but you jump them, if you’re using the service. Means you can get to the hotel by 4am and still get some sleep before going for a late breakfast.

mkcol 55 posts

Well, my hubby and I were there couple of months ago. No one batted an eyelid, but we were discreet. No holding hands, no kissing, nothing. Beautiful country, very unusual. Lovely canyons, wadis, sinkholes, rivers. Worth taking a tour. Sea was very clear. You can stay around Muscat. Hotels West of Muscat (IC, W, etc) is a busy place, full of life. Hotels east of Muscat are quiet and what would you expect of Oman. Here you have Al Bustan, Shangri-La, Chedi. Can’t say anything about street/local restaurants food, we ate at the hotel.

The new airport is very modern and quiet. If you’re arriving middle of the night, I would recommend getting the Meet & Greet service to whisk you through immigration and baggage. There can be queues, but you jump them, if you’re using the service. Means you can get to the hotel by 4am and still get some sleep before going for a late breakfast.

Thanks for that fulsome and very useful reply.

Super Secret Stuff 357 posts

I want to be nosey, sorry. How did you win it?

aseftel 267 posts

Here’s a rough itinerary for a week, focused on history/culture/natural sights, and assuming you have hired a car (SUV), based on a trip I did in 2018:

Day 1: Muscat: Al Mirani Fort, Riyam Park, Corniche, Mutrah Souq
    Day 2: Drive to a Jabal al Akhdar mountain resort (e.g. Anantara/Alila) for a combination of relaxation/hiking, stay the night
    Day 3: Drive down in the afternoon to one of the desert camps near Bidiyah (e.g. Desert Nights). Take in the desert sunset etc.
    Day 4: Drive back to Muscat along the coast, exploring some of the wadis along the coastal route (e.g. Wadi Shab, Wadi Tiwi) and Bimmah Sinkhole. Arrive late, leave early.
    Day 5: Visit Nakhal fort and Rustaq fort. Take the Wadi Sahtan Rd pass through the mountains (this was not for the faint hearted but very rewarding – essentially off road in places), stay the night at Misfah Old House
    Day 6: Explore Al Hamra old town, side trip to Jibreen Castle and Bahla fort if you liked the forts the previous day, explore Wadi Ghul, stay the night at a Jabal Shams resort
    Day 7: Spend the day hiking Jabal Shams, back to Muscat in the evening (perhaps somewhere more luxurious/beachy, you’ve earned it)
    Day 8: Muscat: Grand Mosque/Opera House

Don’t have any specific advice about the gay aspect unfortunately.

mkcol 55 posts

Visit Oman are running a competition during the men’s World Cup football – at half time in each match 2 people are picked who have posted on Visit Oman’s social media channels in the previous 24 hours answering a question & including #HalfTimeForOman

So there’s 128 prizes up for grabs, although most now allocated there’s still a chance to win.

mkcol 55 posts

Here’s a rough itinerary for a week, focused on history/culture/natural sights, and assuming you have hired a car (SUV), based on a trip I did in 2018:

Day 1: Muscat: Al Mirani Fort, Riyam Park, Corniche, Mutrah Souq
    Day 2: Drive to a Jabal al Akhdar mountain resort (e.g. Anantara/Alila) for a combination of relaxation/hiking, stay the night
    Day 3: Drive down in the afternoon to one of the desert camps near Bidiyah (e.g. Desert Nights). Take in the desert sunset etc.
    Day 4: Drive back to Muscat along the coast, exploring some of the wadis along the coastal route (e.g. Wadi Shab, Wadi Tiwi) and Bimmah Sinkhole. Arrive late, leave early.
    Day 5: Visit Nakhal fort and Rustaq fort. Take the Wadi Sahtan Rd pass through the mountains (this was not for the faint hearted but very rewarding – essentially off road in places), stay the night at Misfah Old House
    Day 6: Explore Al Hamra old town, side trip to Jibreen Castle and Bahla fort if you liked the forts the previous day, explore Wadi Ghul, stay the night at a Jabal Shams resort
    Day 7: Spend the day hiking Jabal Shams, back to Muscat in the evening (perhaps somewhere more luxurious/beachy, you’ve earned it)
    Day 8: Muscat: Grand Mosque/Opera House

Don’t have any specific advice about the gay aspect unfortunately.

That looks fascinating just reading it, I look forward to starting my research in earnest & will definitely draw on the advice here.

Super Secret Stuff 357 posts

Visit Oman are running a competition during the men’s World Cup football – at half time in each match 2 people are picked who have posted on Visit Oman’s social media channels in the previous 24 hours answering a question & including #HalfTimeForOman

So there’s 128 prizes up for grabs, although most now allocated there’s still a chance to win.

Wow you clearly got very lucky there! Enjoy

KevinC 76 posts

Congrats mkol. I also won one of the half time trips to Oman so am reading with interest.

We get a week half board in a hotel as part of the prize. I don’t know if there will be a choice or not.

mkcol 55 posts

Wow you clearly got very lucky there! Enjoy

Thanks!

They’ve just posted the link again on Twitter

https://twitter.com/visitoman_vo/status/1599461409397407744?t=QFeqgmxbjtVtEy8X15fJYQ&s=19

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.