Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Virgin Flying Club One-way to/from Manchester, 60K Virgin points & 2-4-1 voucher, best ideas?

• TimM 52 posts

I should have around 60k Virgin points and a ‘2-4-1’ voucher by the end of the year. I want to treat my mother (and myself) to a repositioning cruise, i.e. one-way, with Virgin flights in the opposite direction. The flight must be direct to/from Manchester as my mother cannot be doing with the long train journeys and/or changes to go via Heathrow.

Suggestions for the best use?

All ideas gratefully received.

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    NorthernLass 7,569 posts

You’re a bit limited by direct Virgin routes. Where do repositioning cruises generally start/finish, and where does Virgin fly to/from? I would guess Miami would be a good bet, then you could go up to Orlando to fly back to MAN if you can find availability as obviously Orlando is very popular. Also there used to be transatlantic cruises to NYC though I don’t know if this is still a thing, especially in Covid times.

TimM 52 posts

NorthernLass thank you for your contribution. Having had such horrendous experiences just changing at US airports we will never fly via the US again.

Repo cruises can start and end anywhere. There are many cruise lines but only one Virgin and only one Manchester, hence the question. I imagine it will be the Caribbean somewhere but we are open-minded, except when it comes to the US.

Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

Hi @TimM – this is Virgin’s route list and the Manchester flights seem pretty limited at present if USA is a no-go:

https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/destinations/route-map.html

Looks like Barbados or Jamaica (plus Islamabad although I can’t see that being a big repositioning cruise destination). Hope you find something for you and your mum!

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

I agree – US airports can be very good or really awful! This website seems to search for repositioning cruises, and you can select to start from the UK, which is presumably what you’re looking for.

https://www.dealchecker.co.uk/cruise/repositioning.html

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.