Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Outcome of my complaints

• PeteM 715 posts

Back in mid-March I sent a complaint to Barclays about the Barclaycard Avios Plus product. I was unhappy about being charged the first monthly fee without actually having received the card, the delay in receiving the card, the lack of Apple Pay, my inability to use the Barclaycard app and I also threw in that the application form didn’t really work if you live in a flat.

I didn’t hear back, so I complained to the CEO a couple of weeks later. I included the above issues, plus the fact that I couldn’t use the card online as 2FA simply didn’t work, that I couldn’t register for Barclaycard Cashback Rewards and that I had wasted hours trying to make this card work for me.

After a couple of holding emails I had a very pleasant gentleman from the executive complaints team get in touch.

He explained I couldn’t use the app or 2FA as my Barclaycard profile was clashing with a profile that Barclays still had on their system from about 13 years ago, as well as my login credentials to a business account. Once these were merged and cleansed the problem resolved itself.

He added Apple Pay is coming at some point, as we know, and Barclaycard Cashback Rewards are a Visa product, so unlikely to ever work for these cards (despite them being listed as a benefit of this product).

After a bit of negotiation we reached a compensation settlement I am happy with. He also forwarded the response to my original complaint, which was allegedly sent by post (but never received by me). It was pretty poor, to be honest, and the author clearly had a very limited understanding of the Avios Plus product – he apologised for it.

So I would definitely recommend complaining if you’re unhappy with the card and if you’re not getting anywhere with regular customer services escalate it to executive complaints. He did say they are dealing with quite a few of these…!

duggie1982 261 posts

So how much compensation did you get? Just wondering if its worth my time you see

h1jfg 28 posts

What mechanism did you use to complain?
    I’ve had numerous issue with the card starting from day one with the infamous “envelope torn open” when I received the card in the post, through to the latest issue where my Avios points have stopped tracking against my spend since March 24th. £3000 later and zero Avios points earned.
    Also got issues with my Barclays Premier Account as well.

Aston100 1,382 posts

Pete, thanks for sharing.

PeteM 715 posts

So how much compensation did you get? Just wondering if its worth my time you see

Fair question – let’s just say I won’t be paying for the card for most of the first year!

What mechanism did you use to complain?

First a regular letter to their regular complaints department, then an email to cs.venkatakrishnan@barclays.com.

Nomad 46 posts

Good result I’d say.
    But reading about issues made me decide to hold off applying for another month or 2 I think

Cranzle 273 posts

The problem with Apple Pay support is a wider MasterCard issue/glitch and beyond Barclaycard’s control

PeteM 715 posts

Tell us more? I have various Mastercards that happily work with Apple Pay?

chelynnah 41 posts

The problem with Apple Pay support is a wider MasterCard issue/glitch and beyond Barclaycard’s control

Are you able to explain further? Because every non Amex card we have held between us for as long as I can remember have all been MasterCard and all of them worked fine with Apple Pay. So this doesn’t seem to make sense. Tesco, Lloyds, RBS…

chelynnah 41 posts

@PeteM pleased to hear you got a decent result.
    There really does seem to be an issue with the system assigning information correctly for 2FA. We’ve never held a Barclays product before but while everything for hubby went through fine, the address and phone number for my secondary card hasn’t assigned correctly in the system.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.