Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Other frequent flyer schemes Paid upgrade on AF, no meal for me!

• Rich_A 92 posts

Call me a fool, because I probably am, but I took up Air France on their offer of a shorthaul upgrade during OLCI. £67 for MUC-CDG.

On boarding, I got a beep. “Sorry Sir. There’s no meal for you”. Of the 5 people in the cabin, there were three of us in the same boat: paid upgrade, no meal. The cabin crew was embarrassed and very apologetic.

Why did they offer the upgrade if they couldn’t fulfil it? And why didn’t they contact me during the day or in the lounge, to offer to cancel the downgrade?

They’ve already responded (very quickly!) to my complaint, refusing my request for a partial refund. Is it outlandish to dispute this with Amex? I don’t want to let them get away with bait and switch.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,098 posts

It can be tricky to make a dispute stick because the business ‘experience’ is more than just the meal tray. In the first instance, find an AF webpage showing the features of short haul business and save it. You will be better off with that contemporaneous record of the business class description.

On a similar front, I bought a business SH seat off BA on the morning of travel. It was a day of disruption and BA were filling all seats 3 across in SH J on many flights. I was not told this at the time of purchase around 09.30. Sure enough, seated 3 across when I boarded. I made a seating complaint; never heard back or got a penny.

executiveclubber 271 posts

You’re right to want something for this, so I’d pursue it on principle even though it’s a small sum!

Agree with above, see if you can find any reference in the app to a meal and dispute as a last effort (as I’m not sure how far you’d get, technically Amex should probably discard it but it’s worth a try).

This press release on their website makes no reference to “subject to availability” so anyone reasonable would assume they’d get one. https://corporate.airfrance.com/en/press-releases/new-gourmet-meal-box-business-air-france-short-haul-flights

Before trying the dispute route, perhaps go back to Air France with a short and to the point complaint in the first instance, emailing one of their execs for a full refund of the upgrade fare – I wouldn’t bother asking for partial refund as it might make a bit more work for them – some of their emails are apparently here https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/air-france/

Rich_A 92 posts

Thanks for the advice.

They came back with a second offer of 4000 FB miles, which I’ve accepted.

In my head, I had a figure of ~£25 as being a reasonable partial refund, bearing in mind I did experience the other (minimal) benefits of business, so this is an OK outcome for me.

Although obviously a refund plus a goodwill gesture, without having to nudged them, would have been best!

wookie192 74 posts

It can be tricky to make a dispute stick because the business ‘experience’ is more than just the meal tray. In the first instance, find an AF webpage showing the features of short haul business and save it. You will be better off with that contemporaneous record of the business class description.

On a similar front, I bought a business SH seat off BA on the morning of travel. It was a day of disruption and BA were filling all seats 3 across in SH J on many flights. I was not told this at the time of purchase around 09.30. Sure enough, seated 3 across when I boarded. I made a seating complaint; never heard back or got a penny.

Hey,

I’ve had the same experience although I originally paid for business. Although there was more to it with mine, flight was delayed by 2hrs, there was no food or drink due to the time of night as cartering didn’t turn up, and business essentially becomes economy as there was 3 people in each row. I was given 10k in Avios which I was happy with, it did take BA5 months to actually get back to me though. This was a UK domestic flight (LHR-MAN).

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,098 posts

Hey,

I’ve had the same experience although I originally paid for business. Although there was more to it with mine, flight was delayed by 2hrs, there was no food or drink due to the time of night as cartering didn’t turn up, and business essentially becomes economy as there was 3 people in each row. I was given 10k in Avios which I was happy with, it did take BA5 months to actually get back to me though. This was a UK domestic flight (LHR-MAN).

Aha I was LHR-MAN too. I didn’t press the issue due to other matters moving in my favour.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.